DAVEGA X Updates

I found one last. You can have it if you want. I ordered more today. ETA is 3 weeks.

1 Like

Mark it as in stock and I’ll checkout rn then :slight_smile:

Done. Hurry. :slight_smile:

Edit: I can also 3D-print them from TPU in the meantime. It works equally well. Or you can print one yourself:

1 Like

Ooh, I actually need something like that – I need a 4mm spacer so I can mount my davega on top of a drop-through’ed truck. But I also wanted the rubber seal just for waterproofing.

My local bank didn’t let me approve the purchase for some reason, so I’m now waiting for the money to get transfered to my other account / card. No one buy that gasket before me! :angry:

1 Like

Well hehehehehe

It seems that removing the baseplate from the kit has caused a lot of trouble. Even though it was mentioned twice in the product description that the baseplate is not included, many customers still haven’t ordered one. I’ve been emailing everyone patiently asking if they haven’t forgotten (of course they did!) and even included a free baseplate if they haven’t responded because I’m nice like that. :slight_smile:

Testing a new strategy now, codename bigredletters:

11 Likes

I don’t believe that this is the best approach, I believe you should have a required drop down selecting what baseplate you want, “Angled Baseplate”, “Flat Baseplate” and “No Baseplate”. with the varying prices being tied with what option is picked.

9 Likes

Yes, I agree that would be ideal and I wish there was an easy way to implement it. The problem is that the number of product variations then gets insane. The number of variations is the cartesian product of all parameter values. For example, the assembled DAVEGA has the following parameters:

• color - 7 values
  • cable length - 2 values
  • cable connector - 2 values
  • screen protector - 2 values

That gives you the total of 56 product variations. Already this is difficult to manage. For example, I recently needed to set the 125cm cables as out of stock. For the assembled DAVEGA X alone, I had to edit 23 product variations to make that happen.

I imagine there are better ways of handling product variations but at least with the WooCommerce platform that I’m using it’s quite troublesome once the number of variations gets high.

Now, if I were to add baseplate as another parameter, that’s

• no baseplate
  • black angled baseplate
  • flat baseplate in 7 different colors

That’s a total of 9 distinct values, which would get me from 56 to 504 product variations, which is just infeasible.

One day I will sit down and implement my own custom e-commerce solution. Until then I have to make the best of what I have though.

14 Likes

Completely understand! and honestly didn’t think of it like that, thanks for the additional info.

3 Likes

I feel your pain, brother. You have a way with words that allows you to explain the woes of e-commerce in such a clear and concise way. I have all these same struggles with my web store, but trying to explain them to someone who has never run a web store before has always been difficult. You really hit the nail on the head with this explanation.

The best way I have found for keeping track of stock for kits like this is to just have every single part be it’s own product page, and direct the customer to each page individually. It’s not an elegant system, but Shopify really really sucks with product variations, kits, and inventory keeping for stuff like this.

4 Likes

You could ask Trampa how they do it. Some of their product have like 7 drop down menus and each has like 3 to 15 options lmao

1 Like

trampa have a lot of people working for them, davega is probably just jan

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly. Trampa probably has a custom e-commerce solution tailored to their needs, which is ideal.

I could do the same. I’ve been coding web-apps for living most of my life and having used the WooCommerce for 5 months I now have a pretty good idea about what I need. It’s a ton of work though. I imagine it would take me at least a month even if I had no other tasks.

Plus, running the business alone is already keeping me so busy that I barely have any time left for developments. It’s getting better though. The last year was a great learning experience and I’m gradually getting the hang of this “running a business” thing. Hopefully some of the long overdue DAVEGA features on my TODO list get looked at soon.

13 Likes

Maybe you should tap into the ebike market more, that way maybe sometime in the future you aren’t a one man show anymore. Make a seller’s thread on endless sphere or something like that. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You can make a little check box that people have to mark to be sure they’ve read it. Just like NKON has with batteries, but maybe more like “Yes, I fully understand that this kit does NOT include a baseplate”.

Honestly just seems a bit overkill for a baseplate… But on the other hand, apparently people don’t read the description of the items they’re purchasing, so I guess it’s needed…

1 Like

See above.

Unless his e-commerce platform has an option for something like that already available, or he is willing to pay for a pluggin to accomplish this, he would have to make it himself, taking time and effort away from his value-producing work.

3 Likes

Check out the WooCommerce Attribute Stock plugin. I use that on my site and it works well to track the stock of parts used across product variations. It sets the stock level of each variation to the same as the part you have least stock of.

9 Likes

That sounds like a lifesaver. I’ll check it out. Thanks a lot for the tip! :+1:

7 Likes

Ooooh! I just spent a few hours playing with the plug-in and this is the best plug-in ever!

Also, throughout my experiments I discovered that when defining product variations, I don’t need to be an idiot and have a variation for every single combination of attributes, but I can put things like “any cable length”, “any cable connector”, etc as long as the attribute doesn’t affect price, product picture or any other critical parameter. So I should be able to reduce my 56 assembled DAVEGA X product variations to 7. This, combined with the plug-in will be a ground-braking improvement to my stock management. Thanks again for the tip @Ricco.

Now I just to figure out how to transition to the new system without driving any customer trying to place their order crazy. :sweat_smile:

16 Likes

Just schedule a down time with a banner on top of the site or something like that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes