DAVEGA X Updates

I don’t know why, but this made me spit out my coffee laughing.

Well played.

1 Like

@janpom Hello is it possible to get VESC BMS data with two flexibms in series? 20s pack

Yes, you need to change the CAN ID to 10 and 11 though.

1 Like

I haven’t tried that. In theory, it may work. There is support for dual FlexiBMS by using the CAN IDs 10 and 11 as @Linesflag correctly mentioned. I believe so far it has only been tested with two parallel packs though. I guess the main problem is that if you connect two FlexiBMS to two 10S packs connected in series and you try to put them on the common ground so that they could communicate over CAN, it will cause a short over one of the 10S packs.

1 Like

Can we get a main screen that shows the momentary watt consumption pretty please?

It can’t be easily done for the main indicators (where speed and/or battery/motor amps is currently displayed). The problem is that watts can go to thousands so you either need 4 digits to show W or a decimal point and show kW. None of that fits into the current layout.

It could be displayed in one of the four fields at the bottom. I want to make those customizable anyway and wattage could be a part of that feature.

Edit: You already have the battery voltage and battery current. As a temporary workaround, quickly multiply the values in your head. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bit hard to count when i focus on not dying at 65km/hr tbh. I mostly want to find out what does it take to keep me at certain speeds. For example the “350W” maximum proposed power limit for scooters in the uk would be hilarious on a mountainboard, but i want easy access to numbers to back it up.

I really appreciate the planned customisation options though!
Maybe have the option to combine two sections to be able to display one reaaaally long number?

1 Like

Sounds like what you actually need is Metr logs. :slight_smile:

Also, I understand it’s difficult to do the math while riding. That was of course just a joke. Still, since the battery voltage is more or less a constant, I would really just keep an eye on the battery current and do the math after stopping.

For example, you’ll find out that with a fully charged battery you need 20A to keep you at 35 km/h. You just remember the 20. Then later you multiply by 50V and realize it’s roughly 1000 W.

Sure, you’ll get a little bit of bias due to the voltage sag but that’s not a big bias.

2 Likes

Kinda don’t want to shell out for a metr can and i’m all out of uart ports too.
Also voltage sags pretty badly, i can get vesc tool to show 20% under full acceleration from the otherwise 98%.
Also also, vescs show different voltages between them too, but on rt data on the second tab, vesc tool adds up the total W momentary consumption. I want to see that number on davega, not a total extrapolated from the voltage of only one of the vescs

Are the alternative colours being introduced when the new stock arrives in the store?

Yes, new colors and also angled baseplates. ETA is first week in June.

I’ll probably remove the baseplate from the kit and make it cheaper. Then people can order the baseplate separately – the standard or the angled. It will then also be possible to mix colors. Angled baseplates will only be available in black.

5 Likes

That’s extra nice for e-bike people who dont need a baseplate at all, since we will be printing a handle-bar mount :grin:

3 Likes

@janpom anywhere to get a davega cable and red baseplate in the United states, or slower shipping that costs less than $33?

Czech Post is about $12. They are slow, unreliable, take up to 6 months to deliver a package and occasionally loose a package completely. It’s still an option though.

5 Likes

Guess I’ll save up for another davega to make it worth my time :open_mouth:

3 Likes

DAVEGA is back in stock! … and with more color options – black, titanium, blue, red, purple, green, and raw.

There’s also some new stuff. You can now get an angled baseplate instead of the standard flat one. Note that the DAVEGA X kit/assembled no longer includes the baseplate (the price went slightly down) and it has to be ordered separately. This is so that you can choose between the standard and the angled. It also allows you to combine baseplate/housing colors or leave out the baseplate completely if you don’t need one (e.g. when mounting on e-scooter handlebars).

There are X-brackets in colors matching the DAVEGA housings. The stock for the coloured ones is very limited (green is already gone), so hurry up if you’d like to order some.

I also added some small things. You can now pick up a rubber gasket

… as well as the counter-sunk head bolts for both the DAVEGA baseplate and the X-brackets.

Just keep an eye on your order weight. The bolts are cheap but quite heavy. With UPS, the shipping cost goes up quite a bit as you get above 0.5 kg and then again as you get above 1 kg.

11 Likes

@janpom I was thinking your web store could add handle bar mount for scooters and ebikes. I didnt see any on thingieverse, and for people without printers.

Anyone have any other suggestions for items you may want to pick up when getting a davega?

1 Like

There’s this:

I plan to make a smaller version of the DAVEGA for e-scooters. The first step is to get rid of the ESP32 development board. I already have the PCB for the new design. I need to populate it and test it.

Then if all works, this will become the standard for the 2.8" DAVEGA.

The next step is to make 2.2" DAVEGAs for scooters. The 2.2" display has the same driver and the same resolution as the 2.8" so it’s a simple drop-in replacement. The PCB will have the same components. I will just need to squeeze them to a smaller area and potentially use smaller connectors and/or get rid of the USB port.

11 Likes

how come you want smaller screens?
i would have thought a larger screen would be better

Because it would be much closer to the rider on the handlebars?

2 Likes