DAVEGA X: Restarting, freezing, white screen

I’ll try to test it a bit more tomorrow, but I think it went from having telemetry on the display, it froze for a few seconds, and then the entire screen goes black without the numbers with that red blinking light on top (the same screen that would show up when you connect the device on a pc).

(using a usplit and a metr pro together on one uart port).

That sounds more like hardware problem to me. Please double-check the connectors are properly plugged-in both DAVEGA side and VESC side and there’s no loose wire (occasionally a wire may come out of the JST housing). If you’re running dual FOCBOXes you could also try plugging DAVEGA into the other one. Removing the usplit temporarily is also worth a shot. I hope any of that helps. If the problems persist, you can send the unit back and I’ll either fix it or send you a replacement piece (provisioned with the same data).

2 Likes

I would say it’s probably a hardware problem from my esc, not from the davega.
Thanks for the help.
Seems like I had this same issue before on 3.62, tried to update to 3.65 didn’t see any issue for a few km but I had all the bugs today.

In this clip when I stopped in the middle of the ride was to reboot the board and it’s here where I took the picture of that screen* ^ Around 18:02:50

1 Like

I was going to suggest the same as Jan. It sounds like a connector is probably right on the brink of unplugging so the connection is intermittent.

2 Likes

@janpom

First real issue I haven’t been able to solve or figure out. I’ve reflashed firmware, tried rebooting, reverting to prior firmware doesn’t work, ect… Haven’t used my board in a few days and it was working perfectly before. But now it just gets stuck at this screen. Any idea what I should try?

3 Likes

Yeah, this has unfortunately been reported a few times. I don’t know why it happens. Must be a micropython bug.

The solution is to use the davega tool and make a full backup. Then erase flash, reinstall the bootloader and restore the backup. I hope that helps. Sorry about this. Hopefully it doesn’t happen too often.

2 Likes

No problem at all dude. That’s exactly what my next move was going to be. I’ve been trying to use the windows tool and can’t seem to get anything to flash correctly. Well, bootloader flashes fine, but the firmware and backup feature doesn’t and I get this.

DAVega

1 Like

And after my literal 42nd attempt switching back and forth from my Linux machine running virtual box with windows and my windows machine I got it to work somehow. Did nothing different haha.

2 Likes

Yeah, export/import is extremely flaky on Windows. I yet have to look into that. I should be able to compile a linux version so that you don’t have to use the virtual box. That should also remove the flakiness. It only happens on Windows. On a Mac, it’s working like a charm.

I’m glad you got it working at last! :+1:

1 Like

Perfect. That would be awesome. I haven’t run windows in over a decade. The Linux tool you did have always worked great.

1 Like

Could you please test if this works for you:

https://davega.eu/downloads/davegax-tool/davegax-tool-v1.2-linux.zip

1 Like

Will do when I get back home in just a bit. Thanks dude.

Got this yesterday while riding, DAVEga X is running through uSplit. Constantly repeating.

That looks as a bad contact on the MOSI pin of the display. DAVEGA thinks the display has restarted and it re-initializes it. This is fixable in software. I can add a preference for disabling the display re-initialization. Will try to do it later on today and will send you the update to test out.

You are still able to access the menu, right?

1 Like

Yeah it worked fine again after a restart, no hurries.

Oh, so it was just a one-off? I thought you were getting it all the time. If it just happened once, probably the display somehow got into a weird state and didn’t communicate back over SPI as expected. Please let me know if it happens again.

1 Like

Yeah it happened just once. I will report back if it does it again.

1 Like

I always had problems running the Davega through the Usplit. I run the Davega through the master now and everything else through the usplit on the slave. Haven’t had problems in months

3 Likes

Moving to:

@mmaner, could you please close this. Thanks.

1 Like