DAVEGA X: Gauging interest

In this case I’m not sure I would recommend what I did but I think its workable. I used both epoxy and then silicone.

Normally I would prefer a spray on silicone conformal coating but that would not work for the davega without some very careful masking of the screen and plugs. Too hard basket for me.

There are a couple of things that make conformal coating the davega trickier than your average PCB. The LCD and the gap between the two boards.

I used epoxy to seal around the edges of the LCD screen and the easy to get to contacts on the bottom. A brush on coating would be better for this as the epoxy tends to go on too thickly. I had to go back and scrape off some around the screw mounts so the davega would fit in the housing.

I couldn’t get epoxy into the gap between the two boards so I filled the gap with silicone. I had some on the bench so I thought why not.

The only areas that are not fully sealed now are the USB plug and the button and data plugs.

I did try to unsolder the LCD header to separate the two boards at first. But failed. I wouldn’t try unless you have the right equipment to do that.

10 Likes

I feel like I read somewhere that the silicone fumes while drying can damage electronics. Is this true?

I read on the old forum that gluing battery cells with silicon could damage their shell, but in practice silicon seems so neutral and harmless I think people might have just mixed it up with something else.

1 Like

What about a version with can bus, if telemetry goes over that in the future? It means less cables though.

Yeah, it’s still 4 wires. It has other advantages though. DAVEGA could remain on even when VESC is off and read/show data from a smart BMS (DieBieMS) while charging.

13 Likes

Received my Davega X :relieved: looking amazing @janpom

12 Likes

are you in the u.s

2 Likes

Bit closer, The Netherlands.

1 Like

ohh ok that explains it…just super anxious to get mine. :grin:

1 Like

I can imagine! But it is worth the wait :wink:

1 Like

yes it looks amazing…

1 Like

Your place is farther away than mine. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:It should arrive tomorrow. Why is the Deutsche Post so slow?

3 Likes

France poste should deliver today, but they say “sorry we can deliver today, we will try again soon”
I hope it will be tomorow just for the WE ! :crossed_fingers: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I bet, mine will come sooner than yours.

2 Likes

It is alivee

12 Likes

:heart_eyes:

11 Likes

Trampa HS11 Vertigo truck fit confirmed :ok_hand:

8 Likes

Here is how I mounted it. Might be useful for people with a trampa board aswell. Although on a holypro deck would be more difficult to install I believe. So I basicly drilled a hole and filed it to fit the connector. After that the install was easy… it looks so good :drooling_face:. Sorry to possibly making you guys impatient now lol

7 Likes

It looks great on the Trampa deck!

Be careful not to get water in through the hole where you routed the cable.

BTW, it’s easy to unpin the wires from the JST housing. There’s a ton of videos on how to do it. If you unpin them before routing the cable, a smaller hole in the deck is sufficient. Just drill a round hole. No need for filing. It’s easier to find a grommet for it as well. Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier.

3 Likes

Yeah i’m gonna design some tpu gaskets to make it at least splash proof. And np I know about unpinning but I have a bad experience with the locking fins breaking off.

4 Likes