Davega problems or questions

anybody have an idea as to what would make the davegaX stop displaying data?

This happens to me also. Iā€™m trying to figure out what triggers it.

Power cycling the board fixes it. Iā€™m on 1.1.0

1 Like

Gonna try that version cause power cycle does not work

No joy on the firmware changeā€¦still nothing.

@janpom yet again your expertise is required

It was working before right? Nothing changed since then? Only fw upgrade?

1 Like

Yesā€¦and battery. Ran config on Unity also

Try doing a factory reset. Power cycle then try again.

1 Like

I cant find factory reset in the menu

Now its stuck hereā€¦

Here you go

2 Likes

Could it be that you have accidentally disabled UART communication on the Unity? The setup should be as follows:
https://www.davega.eu/user-guide#installation

It could also be a hardware problem. You may want to check that no data wire has come loose.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a bug that has already been fixed in v1.2.0. Have you deleted the v1.2.0 and now youā€™re trying to re-install it? It should help if you hold the middle button while booting up and let go of it as soon as the menu shows up. Then do the FW update. This way no memory is wasted on other stuff before entering the menu and thus thereā€™s more memory available for doing the FW update.

Itā€™s extremely unlikely that the ā€œno dataā€ has to do with you DAVEGA version. I bet the problem is in your Unity setup. Please double-check that you have UART enabled with the correct baud rate.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the first thing I checked. However I did delete v1.2.0 sometime during my trouble shooting session last night.:grin: But it was not working at the time I deleted it. Iā€™ll reinstall today and give it a goā€¦thx. nice website by the way, love it.

1 Like

Sounds like a loose wire to me.

The 5V regulator is the same used on any single vesc-based unit (the internal one on the drv) and is rated to 1 amp. Also if the 5V bus was getting pulled down youā€™d reset the unity as well and be experiencing cutouts.

1 Like

You mean outside of Unity or could it be a bad solder joint inside or something like that?

That did actually happen to me a few times as well.

This is actually interesting. I wanted to find out if the DAVEGA restarts are because of problems with the 5V power source or because of something on the DAVEGA itself. So I temporarily only connected the Unityā€™s GND, TX, and RX to DAVEGA and I took the ~5V from four rechargeable AA batteries. (Just to be clear: I made sure I donā€™t connect the battery+ to Unity; only battery- to GND.)

This did help with the DAVEGA restarts but I starting getting Unity power-offs instead.

The strange thing about this is that I never experienced the Unity power-off when powering the DAVEGA from the Unity directly.

Reinstalled FW v1.2.0 also did a factory reset. Then I did a read config on the Unity, changed baud rate to 115ā€¦ then I did a write configā€¦its now working. Also did a continuity check on the cable. I will be watching it closely. After all of this I find I now need a longer cableā€¦:grin::man_facepalming:t6:

4 Likes

Time to charge that battery :rofl:

1 Like

Lolā€¦yep.

1 Like

Hey @janpom I updated the f/w on my original DaveGA to the latest [DAVEga v1.0.1]. I know Iā€™m so behind!

It flashes fine and yes I configured just for my bench setup for testing.
Unity (on latest f/w)
10s4p LG ICR18650-HE4 2500mAh - 20A

Weirdly shows the battery voltage as a negative value?

10s4p LG ICR18650-HE4 2500mAh - 20A

I had entered values for a hub setupā€¦but probably won;t go with that, writing this JIC connected to the problem

#define FOCBOX_UNITY 1

#define VESC_COUNT 2 // number of controllers: 1 = single, 2 = dual (set to 1 for FOCBOX Unity unless you have more than 1)
#define MOTOR_POLE_PAIRS 7
#define WHEEL_DIAMETER_MM 83
#define MOTOR_PULLEY_TEETH 1
#define WHEEL_PULLEY_TEETH 1
#define BATTERY_S 10 // number of battery cells
#define BATTERY_MAX_MAH 10000 // battery capacity in mAh
#define BATTERY_USABLE_CAPACITY 0.8 // [0.0, 1.0]

Edit: charged the remote & the battery for a few minutes and power cycled the Unity, problem gone!

Thanks to @JonathanLau1983 from .builders for the case designā€¦wherever you are