Davega problems or questions

It ended up being a usplit issue, got it fixed and it’s working now

2 Likes

I have noticed my backlight is flickering or turning off completely from time to time.
It’s just the backlight, the lcd is still working and updating values when it happens.
I don’t think it’s a loose connection as vibration doesn’t seem to cause or fix it.
Is this a faulty display/ hardware or could this be caused by long wires? I have a bit more than 1m of wire between the vesc and the davega.
I haven’t found anything in the davega threads with the search function

I don’t have any other reports of this particular issue so it’s hard to tell. It does sound like a faulty display.

Is that a new unit or did it only start happening after some use?

I think I saw it flickering a few times while I was bench testing when I got it but I didn’t think much of it since I didn’t had proper connections while doing it.

It has increased in frequency over time tho.

Okay, thanks for the info. I’ll PM you about it.

Troubleshooting update:

Any other suggestions? Updates are visibly slow and same behavior as before where the unit does not update while the throttle is being held. I am sad :frowning:

1 Like

I’m sorry about the trouble. This looks more like an ESC issue than a DAVEGA issue. Do you have any other telemetry device that you could test with the same port on the ESC? Metr Pro (not CAN) or Robogotchi?

1 Like

I have both Metr Pro and Robogotchi. I’ve been running the Robo for awhile now, but it’s on a different port.

I’ll have to look if I can swap the pins between the two (different) connectors. I’ll give it a try!

So I’ve had a Robogotchi on the other port for awhile. I’ve never noticed anything wrong, but then again, I haven’t been looking for laggy data.

I just swapped the Robo and DAVEGA ports, on the bench, and ran a quick log.

Here’s the Robo graph:

Looks surprisingly spiky. The wheels were spinning constantly, and I wasn’t aggressively full-throttling.
Full log:
2022-07-01T00 17 50.csv (5.9 KB)

Yeah… very spikey
Although at least this appears to be reporting every second (which itself seems slow), whereas the Davega sometimes freezes for multiple seconds at a time.

Possible there’s an ESC-wide issue with TX & RX on the MakerX DV6 - any suggestions on how to test?

Edit: Tested again.

This time I tried to hold a constant speed to try to ensure a smooth graph and make laggy data more obvious. And while I was doing it, I noticed the Davega was getting a good connection! Green dots! No red dots. Interesting…

The data log was smoother, but doesn’t seem to do a good job of representing the speeds I was able to hold the throttle at (based on watching the now-updating Davega)…

Seems like I need to go for a full ride with these ports swapped and check the Davega and the Robo behavior. Will report back.

1 Like

Thanks for the details.

You could also try increasing the update interval on DAVEGA. Maybe the VESC is unhappy about being polled too frequently. Go menu > misc > update interval and increase to something like 500 ms.

1 Like

Sorry to resurrect your post, but I too am having the same exact issue as you seemed to have experienced with your DeVega; ie speed not displaying with acceleration. Did you ever figure out what the underlying issue was?

1 Like

Nope. I haven’t tried Jan’s latest suggestion - i would start there.

I’ve been working on a few other improvements, so i i haven’t had a chance to get back to troubleshooting. But it’s still a definite problem. Now i even sometimes have the whole Davega freeze and the only solution is to power cycle the board.

There’s a few variables here:

• Which ESC are you running?
  • Is there a second port you can swap to?
  • Do you have any other wires (power especially) running right next to the Davega wires?
  • Is the Davega wire kinked or bent aggressively or cut?
  • Is your Davega showing the red blinking light at the top to indicate bad connection?
  • Make sure you have the latest firmware and the correct settings according to the website instructions
1 Like

@janpom i have recently installed a couple of davegas (the latest hw) on maker x d75s with fw 5.3.

The refresh rate between the esc and the davega is incredibly slow and inconsistent on both boards. Is there anything I can check to see why this might be happening?

Hard to really see in the video but the little packet indicators at the top are just red most of the time while the board is actually moving

2 Likes

@JoeyZ5 had a similar issue with his metr not refreshing properly.

With his D100? So likely a hw problem on the esc side you think?

1 Like

Does it only happen while riding or do you get red blinks even while resting?

Do you have any other DAVEGA that you could connect and see if that makes any difference?

While resting its all good. As soon as there is motor input it goes to shit. I’ll get a better video.

I do have another davega but its the same hw version and this is happening on two different boards, same setup.

1 Like

sound on so you can hear the motors

I see. Thanks for the vid. Do you have any other UART device that you could connect and test? Metr, Robogotchi?

@Oliver recently reported a similar kind of issue and he’s using the Trampa 75/300 VESC. I wonder if there’s something about these high voltage VESCs that’s causing issues in the UART communication.

1 Like

The d75 and the d100 both use 100/250 FW, not sure about the d60.

I really don’t want to open these boards again but they both have bluetooth modules… i will watch the RT data in vesc tool while doing some zoomies and report back.

1 Like