Daly BMS thread

I agree the instructions are confusing but it’s really simple. You connect balance wires. Then you connect battery negative to B- and charger negative to P-. You connect charger positive to battery positive (none of these is connected to the BMS).

A good way to think about it is that the BMS is sitting between the charger negative and battery negative and acts as switch.

I’ll skip the discharge function. If that requires something strange please let me know
@janpom

Discharge is the same idea. You connect the ESC negative to P- and ESC positive to battery positive. The BMS can then break the circuit on the negative wire. There’s only a single break for both charge and discharge so either both are enabled or both are disabled. You can’t have charge enabled and discharge disabled or vice versa.

But best to simply bypass the discharge, i.e. not connect ESC to the BMS at all.

1 Like

Here’s a very simplified diagram of how it works (if we ignore the balance wires):

1 Like

So just connect the battery balance leads to the bms and that’s it?

@b264 do u still have a good diagram you could post of bypassing the bms?

Finally getting this done.

2 Likes

Can I just use the bms for balancing and to see the voltages through the Bluetooth, so only connect the balance wires and leave the rest? I can’t figure out the rest from the pic and wonder if I need to.

The esc has a 5v and 12v port already

I

Why not skip the bms for charging and go directly to the battery main leads(with maybe a 20 amp fuse (still to be gotten))?

u can, no one is stopping u, but since we are on the topic of bms, the primary function of bms is to stop charging if something goes wrong, be it cell gets too hot / cell voltage too high…etc. bms is there to balance out all the pgroup voltage, so when u charge to full, each pgroup will be charge to their max voltage.

without a bms in place, charger will only stop when the whole pack reach the charger voltage, if one of ur pgroup is faulty or degraded, then u could have it charged slower than others, or way faster than other pgroup, then u will have fireworks.

3 Likes

I’ll be watching like a hawk while charging.
The Bluetooth can still work if I just connect the balance wires?

idk, i don’t use daly bms. but i heard the davega team is able to access the daly data via canbus

1 Like

What’s going on in the blue circles? It looks like the balance plug is put in series with the main leads or something.

I don’t have a B+

Anyone have a pic of their bms being bypassed during discharge they could post? I’m not seeing how the drawing plays out in reality @b264

This is a terrible idea. Just charge through a BMS. It’s actually a big safety risk not to.

2 Likes

B+ is the [most] positive wire from the battery. The big fat red one. Typically a BMS won’t need this, they will often have a small balance wire that connects to the same place.

1 Like

So I have the balance plugs from the battery going to the bms, simple

And I have the main negative going from the battery and contacting B- and then going on to the esc

And the battery main positive from
The battery contacting the one most positive balance wire and then going on to the esc?

@b264

Been getting this cell imbalance alot recently. Any tips? its a 18s7p p42a pack.

I’m hoping that Cell 13 reading is wrong because it could catch fire if actually at that high a voltage.

3 Likes

ur p12 and p13 balance wires are swapped, resolder them in the correct place

3 Likes

That or they’re broken (wires/solder joint)

2 Likes

yea im hoping the reading for 13 is wrong as well. This just started happening out of nowhere. Ill double check the balance wires as soon as i can. I checked again and 13 is now at 4.6 with 12 at 3.6

Can anyone confirm if I’m seeing this discharge bypass right:

the main negative going from the battery, contacting B- and then going on to the esc.
the battery main positive from the battery contacting the one most positive balance wire and then going on to the esc?

Seems so but want to make sure. I’ve never hooked up a bms before