Cutting a keyway into a motor shaft

@Dareno i’m pretty sure you’ve done it?

Has anyone else done it?

Tips and tricks would be appreciated :call_me_hand: i will do my own in a couple of weeks, but thought it would be best to gather some intel first.

2 Likes

Does it need to be a keyway?
Maybe flat spot and set screw will do it as well?

4 Likes

do you need an actual keyway or would a flat spot do? I’ve done both with a dremel and a cutting wheel, but that method doesn’t result in a a closed oval hole of a keyway, you end up with a slot that goes out to the end. Doing a flat spot is usually enough to get a flat bottomed grub screw to hang onto the shaft.

edit: ninja’d

7 Likes

I did this for my sk3’s using a Dremel tool. Been working perfectly for three years and counting. Just remember to tape over any openings in the motor before you start, to keep out metal shavings.
Edit:
If @longhairedboy says so, then it is so.

3 Likes

I would only consider it with a mill. Trying to make a proper keyway by hand is way above my skill level.

4 Likes

I’m happy with an open hole at the end, as I would use loctite anyway, but the motor pulleys i bought have keyways so I figured I may as well use em

This kind of stuff is where my trade skills come into play. I know I can do it, I just want to hear the experiences of others before I attempt it.

1 Like

I have a mill so I would not bother with it.
If I were you I would get an 8-10mm steel rod and practice before attempting it on the motor.

5 Likes

using a cutting wheel on a dremel at reasonable cutting speed (two thirds up on the dial) will result in a lot of heat going into the shaft, so stop and blow on it every few minutes, you don’t want it to get toooo hot, not good for the motor.

2 Likes

I recently had to extend a keyway, just use a Dremel and go slow. It’s really easy. I have pretty minimal experience on the whole front, just welding back in high school.

2 Likes

Excellent tip. Will blow on it and if I’m feeling generous I might even use a wet rag

4 Likes

and also: put the motor in in a sandwich bag and poke the shaft through a hole in it, and blue tape around the hole to keep the bag out of the work area. This will keep hot metal from getting inside the motor.

that’s the trick i use for chopping my motor shafts for use in gear drives.

4 Likes

Yep, i’ve done that one :ok_hand: excellent info here in less than 10 minutes! Yeah boiiiisss!

Edit: 15 mins :man_shrugging: better than shit posts.

3 Likes

This is an excellent suggestion and generally something that I always never think about :sweat_smile:

1 Like
5 Likes

Keyway? You mean Loctite 6xx :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Will be using that as well :joy:

1 Like

Be advised that the shaft is case-hardened steel. This will complicate your efforts unless it’s a flat spot you’re going for.

2 Likes

Definitely not one to shy away from a challenge… and i got the motors cheap so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

These dutch pins involve milling into the shaft, and it’s really hard, but doable. Go really, really slow.

1 Like