Custom Generative Designed Truck Project

that depends how much of the bump the tire absorbs but I only compared the hub motor torque vs the normal force of standing on the board with no bumps

3 Likes

Thatā€™s instantaneous torque though, not persistent. It would be considered an impact load and depending on the material I would magine that would make a difference in the actual perceived effect on the truck

It is pretty hard to track all of the miscellaneous loads though, I would personally probably tend to just throw a bigger fudge factor on to account for impacts

5 Likes

another big issue I see is it doesnā€™t appear youā€™re using a through axle so if the material is aluminum, the truck doesnā€™t have an endurance limit, so over time, vibrations will lead to failure

4 Likes

Yeah this is true, a lot of the cast trucks use a through axle, but comparatively the machined material should be stronger than cast because of metal grain.

Youā€™re still right about vibrations though. The type of aluminum would make a difference a little bit but ultimatey could fail. Vibrations could run the cycles up pretty quickly too

We all know what happened with the aluminum fLExl trucks lol

1 Like

I didnā€™t think of mirroring it, but Iā€™m about to start a mountain board project, so I was planning on doing a new setup with loads on both sides. The mirror option makes much more sense. Thanks for pointing out what should have been obviousā€¦ Iā€™ve experienced the frustration of a single motor on my road board, spinning the wheel on heelside turns, so I totally get what youā€™re saying.

4 Likes

wouldnā€™t want this to happen:

4 Likes

Yeah most of the time I get zero motor spin on my board even on sharp turns because the torque of the other wheel forces the truck down and the other motor compensates

1 Like

I love these comments. I should have got this discussion going before I started working on this design!

1 Like

Absolutely. Iā€™m totally expecting a fatigue failure at some point, and a bit scared of it to be honest.

Then youā€™d have no experience to bring to the table! Iā€™m glad you started it now, instead of sharing your work months after all had been done :smiley:

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if this is possible or not, but could you add a weak point to the truck, that would break first (without causing any harm), and be an indicator that it needs replacing?

Thanks all. I have to take my kids down to the park now, for a bit of playtime, but will be back later to read more.

7 Likes

This looks amazing, Iā€™ve played around with generative design a while ago for our Baja team, but we never implemented due to machine limitations

One questions, is the last version really machinable? Looks like it has some really tight radius

Another tip mor anyone playing with it is use is just as a guide, and use the geometry to make a more traditional design on top that is easily machinable, this way you keep most of the weight savings, use a optimum design for the load case and keep the machining cheap

3 Likes

I didnā€™t some time playing with generative design and came up with some interesting channel truck hangers

But never really planned to make them, just experimenting. That said your trucks look awesome. Thatā€™s some nice machining there, wish I had these facilities available to build stuff.

14 Likes

This looks fucking boss man . Id paint them white and put them on my board . Iā€™ll tell people my trucks are CNCā€™d elephant bones

8 Likes

Good spotting. The last pic in the series is actually of an outcome for a 3D printing scenario. I guess it could be machined with small enough cutters, but it would be a nightmare.

Good points about using it as a guide. I actually did quite a bit of touch up work on the t-splines body to smooth it out and add some aesthetic details, for the 5 axis version.

1 Like

Ha! Thatā€™s hilarious. Cool idea. Or the pelvis of the lesser spotted giant weasel from the depths of the limestone caves in Turkmenistan?

2 Likes

Wow. Cool. This could actually be an interesting approach for a direct drive setup couldnā€™t it? House the motors in the channel maybe?

2 Likes

Cool idea, but Iā€™m not sure you could get enough mass in such a small channel to really get the power most of us are looking for.

Or that would be one huge hangar!

This stuff is really cool, Iā€™m excited to see what comes of it

1 Like

siiiick

2 Likes