Critique my battery design

So my first eskate was an off road belt driven prebuilt called Outstorm. it was an okay board but the esc lacked the customization that the VESC offered. I immediately got to modding and dissecting. The battery design seems somewhat unique compared to other batteries I have seen online or disassembled myself. The original pack was a 10s 4p of LG M26? cells. Not bad. So I doubled that with M29 cells at 10s 8p.

Here is a 2s of the general design the Outstorm had which I have replicated in 8p

I like the uniformity and balance of this design so I took that cell orientation and added a few more ways to make my cell pack as “self balancing” as possible to ensure longevity. I don’t like how most builds have all power being fed across 1 or 2 cells between series connection. Those “bridge” cells are just about guaranteed to bring down the life of the whole pack, usuable capacity, and make the bms have to work.

With the “ultimate parallel design”… all cells work in unison. I also made the electrode wires balanced as well as you will see.

On the left is my original design and on the right is my updated design. I watched more build videos (Pavel mainly) and I got paranoid because I forgot insulation rings on positive electrodes (which I already had inventory), also used too thin .15 of nickel strip, and just didnt use enough tape…

So I got paranoid and ripped off all the nickel and tape to start over. SO glad I did. I used a cheap spot welder first time then I got a kweld… Do yourselves a flavor and get a kweld.

Plenty of power to provide structurally sound welds to .3mm pure nickel.

Anyway… So I got to taping and was more careful to isolate the balance leads. I used fish paper on the first go round and salvaged a good bit when I ripped that build apart… But I still ran out the second time. SOOOO I used kapton tape and gorilla tape. I love gorilla tape.

Below is the 5th and 6th series connections where the bend occurs. The “butt” of the battery you could call it because both electrodes are on the other side. I have plenty of kapton and gorilla tape in there to keep the series connections isolated.

Below is a balance connection. I soldered balance wires on then added kapton and gorilla tape over that.

Below is the “top” of the battery. a bit precarious to assemble since the positive and negative electrodes are adjacent to one another. But I put fishpaper, kapton and gorilla tape all in there to insulate.

Here is where my “self-balancing” electrode wire design is shown. The original outstorm battery had 1 12gauge wire connected to the cell closest to the outside. Obviously that cell is going to fail sooner than the other cells and kill the pack early. So I made sure that every cell would be equidistant from one another and the electrode wires. Here is version 1 with 12 gauge wires.

But I ripped this battery apart and on the second round I used 4 red 14 gauge wires instead to ensure each cell had equal access to the load.

I had no problems with my a few months of first design but didnt want a catastrophe. As I had developed 3 solid ways to improve the battery I went ahead and ripped it apart.

I have such a large battery that I am able to run my cells at 80% capacity or so while still being able to get distances of 25-30 miles. I typically shoot for 4.0v per cell when charging and have my vesc set to cuttoff completely at 3.2v

So if all goes as it should I will get 5+years out of this pack even with daily use. Also my 10s 8p LG m29 pack can do 80amp continuous but I have the Vesc governed to 40 amps max and I have never once maxed out my throttle. The battery isnt even warm when I get done riding.

Thoughts?
Concerns?
Tips?

This is my first 2nd? major eskate battery build. I have done other small packs before. But as we know eskate batteries are just a different animal with all of the constraints we have to overcome.

Thank you for your interest.

board is large with no flex and I custom made a fiberglass enclosure. There is plenty of room for minor flex in the board without disturbing the pack. I can post enclosure pics too if people want.

Bending/folding nickel for series connections is generally an older style that’s being phased out.

8 Likes

I’m not a talented battery builder like some here (I only have one battery built by my hands and parallel packs were still built by another member here)
But my advice would be pretty simple : NEVER skimp on materials. Don’t have enough of something (ie.:fishpaper) to finish? Then don’t finish. Gorilla tape and kapton tapes are good for strength and heat resistance, but they are next to nothing when what you need at some spots is abrasion resistance. I waited 3 weeks before finishing a repair on a pack because I didn’t have fishpaper left to protect the top of a pack.

TLDR: have patience and never put a time limit on building something that can destroy everything you hold dear in an instant

My somewhat educated but Canadian 2¢

8 Likes

While I certainly agree with your sentiment. I dont necessarily agree that fish paper will provide that much more abrasion resistance than gorilla tape, if any.

All of the descriptions of vulcanized fiber “fish paper” that I find discuss its thermal, electrical, and chemical resistance. No where do i see the word abrasion resistant in any description of fish paper that is not on a battery building forum.

Dont get me wrong the stuff is certainly thin and more effective at providing sufficient electrical insulation in a tight fitting battery pack than gorilla tape. That is why i have lots of kapton like pavel does for electrical insulation. To conclude, gorilla tape is at least advertised as abrasion resistant whereas i see no descriptions of such for vulcanized fiber. Maybe there is something in missing.

1 Like

Care to share the reasons for this? I know people like flexxy boards sometimes but other than that, i dont see a reason.

Possibly read about bone grade vulcanized fiber. Bone grade is the top quality version of fishpaper.

And in any case, better safe than sorry :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Repeated vibrations can cause the nickel folds to break.

6 Likes

Even though the pack may not be flexing, vibrations will cause fatigue in the nickel which will eventually lead to it breaking. Even packs that are not meant to flex should still be assembled with consideration of vibrations. Example:

Did you try google???

Anyways, lets do some testing! This is not the most scientific test, but I scratched the surface of each material with the back of a exacto knife for 30 seconds.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (6)

After 30 seconds, the gorilla tape had holes in it… once it wearing away, big chunks started coming off as the soft rubbery materials gets easily damaged by scratches.

The fish paper on the other hand:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (7)

After 30 seconds all I could feel on the surface of the paper were some scratches. Because of its abrasion resistance, chunks weren’t taken out which would allow the knife to dig a deeper and deeper groove with each pass like with the gorilla tape.

After cutting the piece in half, its cross section looks pretty much untouched. My calipers couldn’t even find a difference in the height of the surface.

34 Likes

That’s awesome

science_drink

16 Likes

vibration does do crazy things to machinery.

I am thinking the gauge of nickle strip and the intensity of my welds might be able to counteract vibration. Also GORILLA TAPE ALL AROUND, BB. plus heat shrink of course.

Certainly something to consider for my next build though.

also I used 1/4" thick neoprene foam in and around the enclosure for crazy vibration resistance.

strange my results didnt find anything. my fbi agent must be deleting my cookies again.

that is a pretty build but I think there could be some improvements to make the cells more equidistant. like the jumper wires connecting the middle-ish series connections should be the same length.

Also the nickel and jumper wire series connections for the other connections could be more balanced by flipping the battery over and mirroring the top side and then you could use a smaller diameter wire.

This is good for shock resistance, but I don’t think it’s good for vibration/abrasion resistance.

4 Likes

just needs to be shock and vibration resistant to dampen the movement. The much appreciated science proves that VF paper has some serious abrasion resistance. But I still think I’ll be okay cuz the gorilla tape just needs to be0 abrasion resistant to foam and other gorilla tape and the pvc heat shrink on the outside.

What about the cells and nickel?

vibration on the bent nickel could be an issue in particular but I don’t have a huge problem with it cuz I have so much structural tape and foam to keep it nice and tight So even if a connection comes lose, nothing is going anywhere. and my spot welds are STRONG too. I know vibration doesn’t necessarily care but my gauge of nickel and welds give me confidence.

I have the insulator rings on the electrodes what else?

Having the cells equidistant is the least of my worries… the voltage drop across the 52mm wide strip there is incredibly small.

Also if you would take a look at the thousands of other good battery building posts here, you would come across hundreds of packs that use very similar configurations with no issues!

If I were you I would be worried about my own pack!

Especially with the

• Weak saggy cell choice
  • No adhesive between cells
  • Uninsulated positive terminals (at first)
  • No p-group insulation (maybe gorilla tape in some places?) :face_vomiting:
  • 4 welds per cell
  • Skinny sharp nickel
  • Folded nickel
  • Welds over cell shoulders
  • Nest of balance wires

and that’s just what I can make out from the couple picture here…

8 Likes

But… what about the other side? There are cells and nickel on the inside of the tape, no?

2 Likes