Critique my battery design

No such thing exists IMHO

in regards to battery making

1 Like

-Individual cell power output did not need to be high in this build. M29 were the best dollar/wh with more than enough power than I need in a commuter board.
-I have adhesive in between all p cell connections as well.
-All the nickel was trimmed after the stack photo.
-I guess the more welds the merrier so thanks for the tip.
-my nickel is 8mm by .3mm so I have plenty of material to output the full 80amps continuous if I wanted.
-all balance wires are very well isolated but I suppose that is a critique.0

I have adhesive, tape, foam, nickel welds. What structural elements do you use?

They may be the best value for you but they definitely won’t last 5 years. They claim 10A, but even at 5A they sag like 0.4v which reduces the Wh.

Ahhh I couldn’t see them at first, I see the little blobs now.

Like rounded corners on top of the positive terminals? The sharp corners that are left ontop of the negative shoulder could cut through with enough vibration.

If you use wider nickel it would reduce the resistance to make everything more “equidistant” or whatever…

“well isolated” coming from you doesn’t mean much…

The first 3 of these things are used to join things together, not to provide structure to a battery. They won’t stand on their own. Nickel should not be used to provide structure at all! It’s job is to carry current. When you use it for structure, welds start popping off and the battery starts having issues.

You ask for critique then try to defend yourself with what you think, not what is right… I’m just regurgitating the standards we have developed on this forum.

Anyways I’m goin to bed, be careful :sleeping:

5 Likes

Oh the flames will be so bright :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Oh I wanted to comply to the title and say something bad but you did tidy your battery pack and seem to be running the extra mile to make it safe with builder’s inputs from here, so wish you the best result bud :beer:

2 Likes

So by critique you meant praise and then you will defend your battery from any legit critique from experienced members? :joy:

3 Likes

This is a forum isnt it?

Yes it is, I’m not trying to be mean. Just think the members present some objectively good ideas on building, I’d go with what the consensus is here just so you can say “I did what all the experts online told me” if there is a fire. Rather than be like I used gorilla tape when everyone said fish paper, depended on welds for structure and here we are in flames. Exaggeration but I do try and take the recommended and agreed advice of the community.

8 Likes

Don’t take it like everyone is attacking you. You’re far from the first to come and ask for tips and critical thoughts on a build. You’re also far from the worst. Take it in and improve on yourself, you’ll love you even more for it.

6 Likes

I second this :arrow_up:

Your battery doesn’t look bad.

It just looks like state of the art from like 5 years ago. There have been TONS of GREAT improvements in high-vibration LEV battery design since then. The battery style you made have had, historically, lots of failures for reasons we’re explaining.

First and foremost, wrap each P group in fishpaper.

5 Likes

No worries only strange vibes i got were from the guy who posted his build. From whom I indeed learned some stuff so much grat regardless.

I am far from scorning advice or arguing against the superiority of fish paper for this app. Basically I am just unconvinced that I need to rip this battery apart because of fish paper.

All the critiques are much appreciated.

And no I am not relying on nickle for structural integrity. But it is a factor. I mentioned I have tape, adhesive, foam. And there isn’t anything else that people here use for structural support afaik. That is why I’m here.

1 Like

IMO Pgroups should not have any “skin showing” . Like this

And yes, I did fold some nickel for the series connection here. 30mm wide across all 4 cells. This went into a segmented enclosure.

It was a super tight fit and I had to get rid of some fishpaper to get it to fit nicely. So I alternated which had it

3 Likes

:arrow_up: yeah, this is what you want :arrow_up:

SCIENCED.

4 Likes

Looks pretty skookum.

I’ll give my nuts a tug in light of this information.

2 Likes

These are 2s sets?

How do you have the middle connected?

Basically, this pack is 6x 2s4p batteries. Each 2s4p has zero flex.

So yes, there are exceptions to the rule against folded nickel

1 Like

Trust us.
Any of us would tear it apart to add fish paper. You see what skatan can do otherwise.

5 Likes

Things like little roadside lithium fires don’t go over well with voters, motorists, boomers, and lawmakers either. We don’t want DIY esk8 being outlawed any more than they already are in some places.

6 Likes