Creating a custom motor mount

Hello, I am trying to make a set of custom motor mounts to use on narrow trucks. I have access to a 3d printer for prototypes before cnc but I have no clue how I should make the mount so the motors will fit and no foul play, etc. I have been playing with the idea of having the motor pulleys on the outside of the truck. Anyone have any ideas? I really like these narrow trucks and would love to electrify them. My current solution that works is hard mounting the motors to the deck in between the deck and baseplate. My rear trucks are at 0 degrees and very hard bushings so they rear truck doesn’t move at all. I am coming from a primarily downhill longboarder, but I’d also love to go uphill.

1 Like

Sure you don’t want hub motors? You need about 30mm of hangar to get a mount on (14 for wheel overhang, 6mm for the mount, 9mm for the belt, and another mm for clearance) as the bare minimum…with the nub feature on the end you can just put a hub motor that has the square indexing hole on with minimal work and probably better results (as in more reliability for when the mount falls off the tiny clamp area)

edit: hub motors will also have much less resistance if you’re gonna be using gravity to bomb hills so you can have a much lighter lipo battery and get that burst of power when you need it

1 Like

I always thought that the hub motors that are for sale come preattached to a set of trucks. It’s possible to purchase just the motor part? I’d most certainly investigate since that sounds very appealing if it’s got the power to back it up.

edit: my other parts are a 12s4p battery and vesc 4.12 (x2)

1 Like

Try these, if you’re using such small trucks you’re gonna need small wheels to go with. These are MayTech 70mm hub motors, $100 a piece but and maybe 5 minutes with a file to match the hole on the back

1 Like

Love to see the double forum action! Going to design my own and see if I can work with dan, the owner of don’t trip, to see if I can make this happen for my trucks. I still can’t believe how good of an idea it is to have the motor mount clamp attached to the axles! Genius

1 Like

You could easily offset the motorplate so you can have enough room for a motor. Not sure on the widths of those trucks.

Some people are starting to ride Venom Magnums now too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That looks like it will fit… now I’m having spooky ideas… 4wd with hub motors in the front belt drive in the back :joy:

1 Like

I have a set of cannibals :smirk:. width wise, the hanger itself is 90mm, each axle is 50mm, so total is 190mm from end to end.

1 Like

@Darklinks

has this board, not sure if he is electrifying it

I’m not sure that’s the best plan, usually there’s a reason to pick hubs or belts. Hubs will behave more like a normal board, belts have more power at the cost of space and weight…but you can have nice wheels all around as long as they have cores that you can get pulleys for

1 Like

to be completely fair, that looks a lot like what my board used to look like. Here she is as of now. It’s raining quite heavily in my area, perfect time for waiting around for belts to come in. ignore the tape and 3d printed motor mount, it’s all for test fitment purposes - hurra for iterative design

2 Likes

Yeah looks like the axle idea might save you some stress :sweat_smile:

You could go diagonal drive too

Is that diagonal drive? I thought diagonal drive was one motor on the front wheel and one motor on the back. That normal/reverse mount is what i had originally when ripping around on caliber IIs but normal width trucks feel so boat-y to me after only using my narrow set for so long. Diagonal drive is a cool idea, I just wonder if i’m gonna get torque steer or if it will pull to either side. I’m a regular rider, I wonder if motor placement for diagonal drive as I am thinking of it will have a difference on the ride

Your right diagonal drive is something else. I don’t know what to call that, technically diagonal

I am assuming that I want my rear heel side wheel to be powered, which means for me I’d use the BB config

1 Like

BB config yes.

Same trucks front and rear?

Yep, the front is at a different angle tho, I have it set currently to 60deg, can go as high as 70, as low as 30. the axle + motor mount means i could put it on any truck since they all take the same axle thread. I am loving this!

1 Like

@erroct Did you plan to take this for DH? Could get you back up the hill quick and with a couple of tools remove the belts before you go back down.

I like to see more of these narrow truck builds. Looks like the hanger is a fairly good shape for a mount. Not that I have any designing practice to say!