Creality Ender 3, setup, mods/improvements and how-tos [serious]

You see that curl in the skirt? Any recommendations to avoid that, it seems that the first little bit extruded has a hard time adhering.

X axis pic

Looks like I need to change some seam settings as well.

What’s your layer height and nozzle temp? That seems too hot

PETG is hard without a direct drive and needs a lot of playing around to get the settings right.

Looking at the print, I think you are over extruding. So either do a esteps calibration or just reduce the flow% a bit and see how the print looks. Also set the “outer wall wipe distance” to .2mm.

Whats your “retraction distance”? “Retraction speed” and “retraction print speed”?

1 Like

Anyone use the defaults for petg within cura? Works pretty well for me, but except I still have a few prints where the item separated from the printer bed mid way through the print. Kinda warped.

I would reduce the retraction distance to 6mm max and increase the retraction speed to 40mm/sec. I don’t think you need the retraction prime amount. Just set it to 0.

1 Like

Changes made, temp tower on the way

All the cubes look the same😂

I’ll post a pic when it’s done

Well I guess I turned the bed down too low or not enough glue stick, lost the build. 60* initial then I changed it to 50* to try not to get elephant foot prob was unnecessary. Bottom layer 240*, 5* increments.

1 Like

220* was the top box, I was thinking it was going well until I saw the print move.

What did you use to make the temp tower? But from the results it seems like it’s good starting from 230. BTW, any changes to retraction like I suggested or not yet?

BTW, I don’t see elephant foot, so that’s solved I guess?

Small tall objects will get knocked off easily, so don’t worry about it too much. Just give it a brim.

I used the simplify3d tower on thingiverse and use the tweak at z to change the temps. I changed retraction back to 6mm and upped to the speed you suggested.

Any idea how to get better accuracy? The little cones are off layer by layer

Unless you are making figurines you shouldn’t be concerned about accuracy of very small parts. The cones are really tiny and that’s why they can move around. If you want to print figurines, go for .8layer height.

1 Like

I think the layers look most consistent with the least sagging on the overhang and the spires had least stringing in the 220-225 range. The tower was moving for most of the 220 block so that why it’s very un even.

I’m going to print another with just those two temps and 60* bed to see if it stays put.

Extruder test was short 15mm.

2 Likes

ender 3 complete F3D at GitHub link in the youtube description

See video description for github link to ender 3 complete f3d

My main printer is blasting off some ABS parts now. Designing away

When doing the e steps calibration, is it pushing through the hot end or just what is through the extruder without the tube attached?

Through the hot end.

1 Like