Convert a Vespa to electric with StormCore 100S?

It requires specialized firmware!!!

PLEASE PEOPLE DO NOT CONNECT YOUR UNITIES LIKE THIS

20 Likes

Shit too late, did and interrupted space time continuum.

Actually any ETA on announcing who won the 100D beta test lottery? Iā€™m antsy waiting to pull the trigger on some build parts if I win lol

5 Likes

very soon

2 Likes

wat are you talking about jeffrey this is the correct way to connect your electranic speed cntrolla AkShYuLlY i have ben connecting lectruk contalleh for FIFTEEN YEAS i now wat tu do thANKX U

writing this gave me cancer dont do it peeps

12 Likes

PLEASE PEOPLE DO NOT CONNECT YOUR UNITIES LIKE THIS

Donā€™t cross the streams? I guess we need the Ghostbusters patch.

3 Likes

If the phase wires are connected to the same phase and the sensor wires report back the position of the motors what would be unique about the firmware? This does not just double the capacity to drive the single motor? Curious, because I have read the BLDC code and donā€™t know enough to make sense of it.

1 Like

Pwm cycles connect the battery to low and high side of battery alternating to get an imbetween voltage. If this isnā€™t prefectly synchronized then one switch will connect to battery positive and one switch will connect to ground and then your battery leads are shorted. It should trip a VDS over current fault on the DRV but better not to test it.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity, is the Unity capable of this with firmware changes? Or is stormcore more unique than that

3 Likes

Roger, wonā€™t do this then. Would be great if it was an option with a future firmware update.

As an alternative to using a VESC I suppose an e-bike conversion kit could be a starting point. The legal limit on bikes would have to be disabled since it would not nearly be fast enough and does not apply to a street scooter. There may also be 3 phase brushless motors which could be adapted to the belt system in my gas engine scooter.

Hereā€™s one option. And at under $300 itā€™s not expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/JAXPETY-1000W-Electric-Bicycle-Conversion/dp/B07F1FLHC8

Maybe also try looking at kelly controllers

2 Likes

Those look great with plenty of amps! Iā€™ve been talking to Barry who owns SF Scooter Centre on 10th and where Iā€™ve bought my scooters and want him to consider doing electric conversions. Heā€™s been selling these scooters for decades and has records for all of those customers. Doing conversions would keep his shop busy for years.

https://www.kellycontroller.com/controllers/brushless/

If anyone is wanting to buy some larger DC motors instead of hubs for 20S hit me up thereā€™s heaps of options out there with power of 10kw+

Edit: I can totally show options for far higher voltages depending on what your needs are, not hard to go up 300kw+ if you have the cash

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been thinking about asking Jeff if he has any good ones.

Where are you talking about getting them from? weā€™re on opposite sides of the world sadly :unamused:

Plenty of sellers in North America for this stuff, Australia as well (not sure about Europe), just need to look into the DIY EV market which, while small, has some decent options that will suit what this thread is looking to achieve

2 Likes

I had asked earlier, how are you handling the timing of the 2 channel 1 motor setup?
I was thinking just tying the one sensor to both channels would work but I wonder what else is needed

1 Like

tumblr_inline_pjfp2uyEWf1uli3vd_540

5 Likes

I donā€™t know if you have seen this, it is a bit old.
kelly controller and 10" hub motor, you need to make a swing arm to mount the hub motor tho.

1970 Vespa 50s electrification project

1 Like

Awesome!

Assumed this to be the case thanks.

2 Likes

Yes, I havenā€™t actually tested it but it should be. It just requires setting a flag when you compile the firmware.

2 Likes