Convert a Vespa to electric with StormCore 100S?

Customized FW5 build. One dual driving one motor, the two duals linked over canbus. Double the fets on each driver means double the usual per motor power. Pretty coo ngl :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

So the second stormcore is only connected to the battery and canbus to the other one? It’s not actually connected to the motor (by phase wires)?

1 Like

@sofu can you weigh in on the retail situation of the stormcore? Will individuals be able to purchase the uhv version?

3 Likes

You should ask @Deodand and/or @Blasto.

4 Likes

Hopefully I am wrong and these are available for retail…

1 Like

How do you get the phases matched up? both sides running on the same sensor?
might be more HW , so maybe @Blasto ?

Yes, it will be available but we just will take some time to get stock, and do more testing across a wider range of setups before offering it DIY. It is much easier when you can work one on one with OEM customers than to support all the potential things that come up with 100 different setups so we want some easy to use software tools in place before launch so we can serve these customers well without customer service nightmares.

25 Likes

No, it is. This is per motor.

Read Jeff’s thingy above regarding retail

16 Likes

As long as the motor is a 3 phase motor with sensors I expect a VESC would work. It would simply replace the gas motor which is already in place. Depending on the current design and how the frames is set up I’d probably take out the gas components and use that space to put a big battery, electric motor and the ESC. The current components are likely bolted in place so a compatible conversion kit could use those same bolt holes to attach the better and replacement motor. If there is a belt then the new electric motor would have to be in place to turn it with a proper gear ratio to give it enough torque to get moving and handle hills, which will likely define the ability of this scooter to climb hills. The 100 volts may help here but I don’t know if it would be enough.

For a city scooter the top speed should be at least 40mph so it is not struggling at 25 or 35. Apparently the electric Vespa has a 48V battery from LG Chem.

1 Like

Sounds like someone is speaking from experience :wink:

This is understandable and admirable. More companies should do this :+1:

Thanks for chiming in on this!

6 Likes

Thats how I had understood it. Thanks for clarifying.

2 Likes

This listing has a bunch of options, which one were you referring to? I really want to build and ebike at some point. Maybe an emotorcycle.

1 Like

48v is common for companies because 50v and up is considered Very high voltage and comes with safety regulations

Totaly! I guess what i mean is due to the extra room for weight, volume, and less requirements on functionality, a scooter might be better served with a simpler esc. Thats also true for my ebike adventures so who knows

1 Like

The last one :grin:

2 Likes

First off I’m super excited that the Stormcores are going to be available!

Second off @Agressivstreetlamp I’m guessing you know this but 48v is 13s which has a peak charge of 54.6v…

2 Likes

good point, guess I’m wrong. :man_shrugging: We had a VHV MUX project that required more regulation.

1 Like

I am getting ready to test FW5 here. I’ve got various ESCs I could test out including Tramp VESC6 and Flipsky Dual FSESC6.6 in addition to Unity. Rain and my terrible soldering iron slowed me down this weekend. New soldering iron is on the way so I’ll get ready to get out with a Unity running FW5 this weekend.

1 Like

I think you need way more power. Someone on here mentioned they have an electric go Kart with a Esc and motor from Aliexpress. They mentioned 75v Vesc didn’t have enough power and also lacks field weakening. That combo might be worth looking into.

That looks sick.

Never considered using a dual ESC to power a single motor. I guess since they are wired up this way it makes sense it would just work and power a bigger motor. I suppose if that is enough to power a motor like the one the electric Vespa uses then maybe it would work.

I don’t have enough details on the electric Vespa. The one article I linked to before shows it runs with a 48v battery and has plenty of torque. I expect it has a top speed comparable to their previous gas engine models. If I can find out the specs for their motor or other motors used in electric scooters then I could consider what would be required of the ESC. Doubling up a dual motor ESC on a single motor could make a Unity or StormCore more capable for this application.