Conductor Current Ratings [SRO]

I only had some thin and skinny-ish 2.5mm wide copper braid so I used 5x parallel.
according to the chart 5mm wide can do 32A so I have 2.5x that so 75A ish amps cont?

Anyone think I need more?

Whats your application? And expected current draw?

2 Likes

Ha! I think you might know a bit about this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I figure a couple more would not hurt to add I guess, can’t see but there are 5 strips

1 Like

Haha yep, im your guy lol.

I think that 5x2.5mm braid is fine for that. Though I should ask, is that solder wick? Or actual braid designed for conducting current?

2 Likes

cool beans I’ll finally wrap up this pack then. Freshly wiped!

solder wick you know it.

sign… I’ll cut it all offf

1 Like

Oh in that case, maybe not. Solder wick is a copper alloy, right? It is not designed to carry current.

2 Likes

whoops.

1 Like

dont use solder wick

3 Likes

This is what you want. 6AWG equivalent.

Or this for smaller applications. 12AWG equivalent.

Wow, what are feet feet? They only sell those in rolls of five feet feet (5’ FT) through one hundred feet feet (100’ FT)

1 Like

Curious, that 1/2" braid says it’s 10AWG which would be half the rating in the chart above. @BenjaminF do you think the chart should be amended? Or that maybe this is just a really thin 1/2" wide braid?

Nah i think they are just being modest. This braid is thiccc as fuck, both in length and width. Remind me on Tuesday and Ill take some calipers to it and get you proper cross sectional area.

1 Like

You all saw nothing. nothing I tell you.

6 Likes

Yep thats looking better.

1 Like

That looks as tho I could be cold solder joints hard to tell from the pic

1 Like

I think silver plated could be more advantageous at really high frequency when the skin effect is happening but compared to solid copper wire it’s a pretty small improvement in conductivity and also thermal transfer. The cost is pretty high and I haven’t seen it with as high a temp rating as copper wire. Only person I knew who wound with pure silver said the insulation cut through and it shorted.

2 Likes

I feel like this is an easy way to read the nickel section at the top for less conventional setups, hopefully it helps!

1 Like

Definitely helpful. Basing current capabilities on cross-sectional area makes things so much easier for DIY, especially for nickel. Where did you get the data for those numbers? The chart in this thread?

2 Likes

Yup!

2 Likes

You may be looking too far into the steel numbers. The steel numbers have had little testing or updates, while the nickel numbers have been tested and updated from empirical test results. They were closer together at the beginning. The steel numbers haven’t been tested much or at all.

2 Likes