Conductor Current Ratings [SRO]

That’s probably for AC / power transmission. For short distances and chassis wiring like esk8, you can run much higher currents. People regularly run 50A continuous (100A peak) with 12AWG wire.

2 Likes

Lol. Excellent. This is gonna be ridiculous.

Back to the first question though, is the single strip of nickel strip adequate for the p connections?

Thats true, I use 12AWG aswell and I run 100A all the time, but yknow 200amps continuous :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I added that size to the chart

1 Like

No, but everywhere you connect a copper wire to it you reset.

So for example, if in-between two cells you have a 14AWG copper wire soldered on, then the nickel can pull 8A from the right and 8A from the left into the wire for 16A (while staying cool)

So if it’s only one layer of nickel and you want to pull that much power then maybe twelve 18AWG wires will work? (between each pair of cells)

1 Like

Would like to avoid that much soldering. Happy to flog the kweld though. I think I will double up all of those S connection nickels.

It’s the parallel connections that need more capacity then. And only on the first and last groups of cells

edit: my math is off, yeah the series nickel is also only 96A

Dude, are you sure you need that much current?

1 Like

Hahaha not need. As I said, purely a dick swinging exercise. Just so I can say Ive done it :rofl: your advice is much appreciated, I will investigate further and come up with a plan

Twelve 18AWG wires that are then rolled into a bundle might be your best bet

Beautiful battery pack!

3 Likes

Do you have a better source of information for this?

1 Like

Thanks @deucesdown

Copper braid as phase wire?

Updated braid section :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is the 90A rating of the XT90 a continuous rating or an instantaneous rating? If I plan to pull 60 battery amps * 2 ESCs = 120A, then would I have to go AS150 for my loop key?

1 Like

To answer my own question, I found this datasheet that rates the XT90 at 40A continuous/90A instantaneous at 500V DC. I dont know enough about electricity to know if running at 1/10th of that voltage (50.4V) would have an affect on the amp load that it can handle.

Can anyone with high-amp experience chime in on their loop key solution?

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.china-amass.com%2Fproduct%2Fcontain%2F15452ybw62z99793

manufacturer’s website says rated 30a, instantaneous 60a. Almost looks like copy/paste error from XT60, but the XT60 page says 20a/40a. Amass used to have an English version, but it seems to be gone.

I found these guys have most of Amass’s products, with detailed specs (and decent prices on some stuff).

http://shop.smc-powers.com/XT90H.html?search=xt90

They show 90a/120a.

Maybe something happened, and Amass derated their connectors. Certifications maybe?

The mating cycles is also dramatically different, 100 times at Amass, 1000 times at smc…

These guys did a pretty good test, but it’s a single instance test… They did similar tests for a few connectors.

5 Likes

Thank you for the video link. It looks as though your first link is broken BTW. From the test they did in the video, I would probably be fine running the XT90 loop key on a 120A setup, as I will likely not be pulling enough current for long enough to hurt the key.

You say XT90, and AS150. Do you mean XT90S? I think the resistor can burn out on XT90S. Not the end of the world if it happens though…

Mobile link not traslated http://www.china-amass.com/mobile.php/product/contain/15452ybw62z99793

Yes i was referring to XT90S, thanks for the clarification. My understanding was that the resistor is only in danger of burning out when the key is not fully inserted. Am I wrong?

1 Like

If you don’t plug it in all the way you’re at risk of fire. :slight_smile: In normal use the resistor slows the rate at which the bulk capacitors in the esc charge, preventing a spark from the huge surge. If this current is high enough it tends to burn out the resistor in the antispark.

But, I’m an idiot. Sorry, wasn’t paying enough attention. The resistor is not in the circuit when fully connected so will not be affected by operational current, whether it’s 90a or 120a. Most likely it’ll be fine at 120a as long as it’s brief.

3 Likes
2 Likes