Conductor Current Ratings [SRO]

Also, I definitely read that graph wrong at first. I realized those colors were bad, but not so bad I actually couldn’t read it.

It’s pulsed DC current, timed to simulate AC current’s back&forth flow but still DC current. There is no skin effect. The type of motor gives us a hint…BLDC. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pulsed DC has characteristics more similar to AC than DC AFAIK. Also maybe I’ve not understood, but I thought FOC brought the shape of the pulses supplied to the motor into more of a sinusoidal shape. The BLDC motors we use could just as easily be called 3 phase AC motors. They are the same thing.

2 Likes

I think the inductance of the motor coils will smoothen the frequency and therefore no frequency for skin effect. My guess. Must read more
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=671591#/topics/671591

1 Like

2 Likes

??? Did I say something wrong here? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Not at all, I just copied the response here so it can be added to the discussion thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@glyphiks is correct. Amass lowered their ratings I think. IMHO, this is probably for CYA reasons.

An XT90 can probably do 90A continuous, that’s 24 hours a day. And probably 180A for a few seconds. You likely couldn’t even stand on a board that was drawing any more current than that anyway.

MR60 are generally going to be just big enough to handle any load a normal 63100 or smaller esk8 motor will be drawing. I haven’t had any overheat, nor have I heard any reports of it happening. I’ve got one motor set at 165A motor max using an MR60 with no issues.

Also see this:

So you can see that a 12AWG wire will burn before the Amass brand XT90 gives up. In one experiment, the XT90 was desoldering itself above 270A. It was carrying 270A for ten seconds.

3 Likes

1 Like

Amass connector current tests

The lower numbers are for AC and building wiring, I think.

1 Like

that is correct, i was doing research on awg wire physical dimension and their standard and come across this table which i need a easy remember place for future reference

there are also data on different frequency affect and other random bits which isn’t what im looking for so i did not include it in

1 Like

This is a bad idea I know but curious about using this for a charge port and loopkey. As a charge port shouldn’t be a problem but wondering about as a loopkey. anyone have a really high amp power supply to test or maybe could extrapolate from a lesser current? Comparing the surface area it looks like it has potential

The nema or whatever standards have it at like a 30 amp rating but their standards are likely higher

2 Likes

I wouldn’t use it as a loopkey, it’d wiggle loose too easily

On this note though I have considered using IEC plugs for phase wires.

2 Likes

Question pls.
I’m building a 14s3p battery using A123 cells.
For the P groups I was going to use 8mm x 0.3mm nickel strip which the seller has rated as 50amp. (Is this over kill? For the Series connection I was going to double the same strip up so 2x 8mm x 0.3mm
Any help appreciated. Thx

1 Like

I think double the strip is good for like …30 amps. One strip is maybe good for 15. I forget and depends but definitely not 50

First thing is to understand the difference between instantaneous and continuous ratings.

0.3mmx8mm should be slightly above 0.3x7mm in the chart above, and those can definitely do 50A instantaneous, but unlikely continuous without getting rather toasty.

Out of curiosity, where does nickle plated copper fit in this?
Is it out cuz it is hard to weld?
It seems a bit hard to find, but I could find it some places, that seemed trustworthy, I don’t really trust Aliexpress and similar when it comes to nickle strips and similar, especially when it is for high current devices

I’m a noob, but was able to make my self a decent 80v battery for my onewheel following Mario Contino’s guide I’m not a complete noob when it comes to electronics, but this was my first battery pack
2p19s 21700 molicel

Nickel plated copper would have nearly the same conductivity as copper.

1 Like

Anybody happen to have a link for various connectors current rating? Ta