Complete Stop Downhill/Uphill on a Mountainboard (VESC6) is it possible?

I would be happy with pretty much any solution at this point…
May it be a touble tap on the breaks… or even a combination of UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A

Anything…

3 Likes

i think a double tap would be perfect as long as you’re already in the stopped-but-still-rolling phase.

1 Like

We were discussing somewhere about how a system could be set up so after your vesc brakes reach what they consider 100%, the next brake throttle push will act as a slow reverse. As soon as you use forward throttle, it resets the routine to standard throttle and brake setup until 100% stopped again.

1 Like

Not sure how a slow reverse would help my cause when breaking uphill though

1 Like

Interesting topic, i have the same problem but only downhill, a reverse would help. Furthermore there are steep hills where I speed up despite applying 100% brake, that sucks a lot and is dangerous. Also I’m on older FW with the releasing/locking brake issue and am scared of braking on steep inclines. BTW which FW you are using and do you have problems with the brakes before stillstand or on steep hills?

If this is your problem then just apply throttle and you won’t roll backward. I can 100% lock the board on crazy steep inclines when standing uphill by just applying throttle (up to 100% depending on incline).

Here an example for locking the board uphill with full throttle (01:52). After releasing the throttle I roll backward

4 Likes

Gravity and throttle brakes for me up hill. To be clear, your brakes would still function normally. Only at a complete stop would the reverse function engage. If you throttle forward, you would still go forward no matter what.

2 Likes

Yes but gravity doesn’t only help you stop uphill it also makes you roll downhill, so that’s why a slow reverse would not be very practical uphill. A slow forward throttle would be

I feel like you are thinking that you somehow don’t have forward throttle control while braking. As rich said, I brake uphill by gravity slowing me down and then barely using forward throttle.

My remote suggestion was more to address downhill 100% braking not being a dead stop

1 Like

Yes I see how you want to apply different methods for different situations… I however just want to stop when i brake… no matter if uphill or downhill. The motors just staying where they are… I know… it’s just a wish

I will try to investigate this. It just need a custom app. Mainly when ERPM goes below a setting, kick a full-brake(low) current into the motor to keep it in place, not much current is required for that. Both should be adjustable. Could be probably made to require double press of brakes.

1 Like

I think it would be best to apply the full brake only when the throttle is below 10%, as in more than 80% brake power, and of course low erpm. That way it’s dynamically controllable with the throttle input only.
I’d assume that no one uses more than 80% of the braking power below 5 km/h or so anyways.

2 Likes

Agreed. I have plenty of throw on my brake trigger to spare.

So when can I expect the new firmware? Does Sunday work for y’all?

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it yet, but if you use the setting that has reverse and set a really low max reverse ERPM it should brake you, it’s what @rey8801 is using to overcome the low braking force of DD

In my board uphill is no problem, I just accelerate enough to keep the board stopped, it would be the same in downhill, you brake enough to keep it stopped

1 Like

Yes I think I will try that just in case the “real firmware” takes longer than sunday :smiley:

I can do exactly that. Hold my position on an incline or a decline.

2 Likes

I can’t find where I can set the maximum reverse speed in the Metr App ?
Any ideas ?

Nevermind… I just set it up with VESC Tool… I now run “Current Hyst Reverse with Brake” and have the Reverse Speed Limit set to 4km/h and the maximum direction switch ERPM around 1000.

Lets see how this goes…

Only strange thing is with the speed limits on VESC Tool that it will first spin faster until the speed limit kicks in but thats only on the bench I guess - have to test it on the road

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the mode you want. You want current mode. But give it a try and if it doesn’t work then try current.

When I tried it in current mode it will directly go into Reverse without braking first. Thats why I choose the Hyst mode.
I tried it only on the bench but I was not able to just brake (even with setting the Max ERPM very low) it would go from forward directly to reverse.

the Current Hyst Reverse with Brake did work and braked first and then would go reverse on the second reverse tap