Cloud Wheels/Clone SR Foamies Review

Has there been complete failure of cores?
I sent cloud wheel a dm and I ordered a single wheel to replace it. They asked for the lot and batch number so atleast it seems they care about bettering the product.
The crack doesn’t seem to be getting worse but its forsure not getting better and it worries me.

2 Likes

I’ll keep an eye on mine I just started riding them. They feel a little squirrely on smooth ground going fast due to not being smoothed down yet, I think I heard other people mention this.

1 Like

I felt the same at first. Not sure how much is them getting worn down to the point of better traction vs mentally adjusting to their grip. Either way they are fun wheels.

1 Like

Pretty sure all agree we hate these things :angry:

Hub motors over these felt like you ridding a runaway blender.

7 Likes

haha if you aim right you can actually ride right in between the bumps on curved wheels like these. I was surprised when I went over some and felt nothing.

4 Likes

So I skimmed this entire thread. I thought a summary might be helpful. 120 mm Foamies. Some people love them. Others not so much. Heavy riders seem to get much worse range than lighter riders but they experience more vibration reduction than lighter riders. Some lighter riders don’t feel that they lose much range but they complain about the traction, the size of the contact patch and they don’t see that much vibration reduction. Some riders think the foamies are stable with good traction at all speeds. Other riders complain of speed wobbles at high speeds. So opinions vary alot depending on the weight and preferences of individual riders. Also, there were a number of complaints about the cores not being well centered and eventually cracking. Despite that some riders like the foamies so much that they want to throw tomatoes at those that give the foamies a mediocre review.

I found all of the above contributions very interesting. As a heavier rider, what I’ve read leads me to decide against buying the foamies. I’m going to stick with my 110 mm TB 78A. I only got to ride them once before the winter snow fell. I can’t say enough good things about the vibration reduction, pothole and crack handeling, improvements to top speed (53kph up from 45 kph) and the high speed stability. I hit some man hole covers at near top speed and barely felt them. The higher centre of gravity made the ride feel a bit unfamiliar for the first 5 minutes. But after just a few minutes of getting use to the new ride characteristics the unfamiliar feeling disappeared. The range is something I’ll have to figure out next riding season.

3 Likes

Here’s my video review of the 110 TB’s. Back in November DIY electric sold them as “110 mm Cloudwheels”. Since then they dropped the “Cloudwheels” labeling – and they now call them Torque Wheels.

https://youtu.be/JrtHKtUgiTU

2 Likes

I’m kinda feeling some vibrations maybe like @BillGordon talked about. This could be due to loose pressfits and possibly a huge number of things rattling around on my board. I am also on silicone riser pads.
wheels also still not broken in. Maybe I should ride more than 2 days then review.

Is there any tangible difference between the OG SR version and these iwheel ones? Weight feel quality? Anything

Would filling the spare gaps in the core with some spooge be worthwhile?

2 Likes

That would be awesome to have a side by side comparison of the two. I was considering ordering the SR’s but once I found out cloud wheels would sale me a single wheel for replacement of the cracked one I went with that.
Unless you could get some pressure behind that fill I doubt it would do much.

2 Likes

Maybe the SR wheel is just a special order of the I-Wonder wheel from the same factory with a special logo?

@jeffwuneo maybe you know the answer to that :slight_smile:

Slick revolution not make these wheel. Is made by other company. This company just put they logo on wheel.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff, makes sense. There we go folks, save the money

I wonder also not making this wheel.

2 Likes

:laughing: I see

What is the same of the company who actually makes them? `Do they use a trading platform like dhgate/alibaba?

2 Likes

No they not advertise. But I wonder is own mould for these wheel.

3 Likes

Well the drag is being generated by the compression of the wheels compared to standard thane wheels. It makes the wheels go oval in shape hence more resistance. I think that topic was big in other wheel threads.

2 Likes

They are not as stable a “normal” wheels, but I won’t say they are unstable. They do get less stable with speed though.

The grip is especially for the jut 22mm CP higher than. average. On loose terrain it’s even better compared to normal wheels.

Don’t know about 78A, but I slightly prefer the 110 74A over the Foamies, like most others do.

1 Like

I have not tried the 74A but the 78A are so cushy and vibration free that I can’t forsee any additional benefit from going softer. Thats just speculation. I’d love to see someone compare them scientifically. Range and vibration. I have no idea how to measure vibration. Perhaps a remote microphone and a decible meter on an Iphone.

1 Like

I think an accelerometer would be good. I wonder if there is an app for that. “vibration meter” or something