Cloud Wheels/Clone SR Foamies Review

Oh. That I get… Thanks for clarifying.

2 Likes

Cloudwheels on my Metroboard (probably 200~300 miles on them). As you can (hopefully, sorry for bad pic) see, the press fit pulley that came with the board fits snug. This is the same pulley that fits snug in the genuine ABEC 107’s that came with the board.

1 Like

When did you buy those? No play when you rock it back and forth? Did iWonder change the core design recently?

Is there any failures with a pulley in them?

Bought these late November 2019. No rock, no play. Snug. How snug? Had to tap the pulleys in a bit, that snug. :laughing:

Trippy. Might be a chance they chanced the spoke thickness from the original batch

7140657_150x150_crop_center@2x

1 Like

Just checked all 4 of mine, no signs of cracking. In fact other than a bit of tread wear (and more than a bit on my 1 drive wheel) they look like new.

I dunno this looks like that picture to me. One sec, ill grab pics of my other 2 ABEC style wheels

Can you inspect the pulley to see if the tight fit is from the spokes, or from the core outer/inner diameter?

It is tight is every dimension: to the inner/outer diameter, and also from the wall of one spoke to the next.

ABEC 107:

Cloudwheel:

97mm amazon special:

It seems clear to me that the cloudwheels use cores with the same dimensions as genuine ABEC

Oh yeah, my batch number is 19000N08002

Wtf. Why my clouds have so much play. A couple other people posted the same thing too.

Is it possible that you are using clone pulleys? Since it seems like clone cores have narrower slots?

They are clone pulleys but they fit in abec cores snug, so I’m not sure what is going on there. Diameters are same, but the spokes are not snug against the walls. Eh. I guess when this set wears out I’ll see if a new set is different. I’m starting to think there was a secret mold change sometime between last year and this year

1 Like

Genuine ABECs? Do they have the little teeth that engages with the ridge in the core? Because my Metroboard pulleys do not have the teeth, they just fit spoke to spoke, diameter to diameter. If that makes any sense

Yeah, genuine abecs. Some of them do and some of them dont, the ones that do have the teeth fits a bit more snug but still side to side play. Doesn’t really bug me but it’s interesting.

1 Like

Gotta love inconsistent hardware specifications

1 Like

So I have a theory. They may have started production with a cheaper brittle plastic that shrinks more as it cools (during the injection molding). If they switched to a different plastic that shrinks less then this could account for improved fit on later production runs. One could speculate that the later production runs might benfit from a more resiliant plastic. You would hope so. But that does not mean its true.

ABS does shrink so that may be possible actually. Also a brittle material in freezing weather.

You are correct. If they switched from ABS to Polycarbonate then parts out of the same mold would have been shrunk and deformed in ABS and the polycarbonate would likely be perfect. But holy smokes if they made those parts out of ABS then those units are all ticking time-bombs. You know when I saw the disintegrating cores my first thought was ABS but I figured naaww… no one would be careless enough to use ABS on a load and impact bearing part like a wheel core.

@Jpm5150 do you feel like grabbing some Acetone or nail polish remover and see how quickly it melts a piece of that core?

See additional tests here including float tests, and flame flame tests

2 Likes

Yeah with haggy pulleys 107s is tight and iwonders are loose.

Hol up. Lemme check this shitz

1 Like