Clearance & Fitment issues

Hi, I’m in the middle of creating a new esk8 board. I’ve gotten the enclosure, almost done welding up the cells but unfortunately I’m having some trouble with the trucks & clerance issues. I would also like to get some feedback too!

Here’s the problems I’m having.

1. There’s some major wheel bite but I’ll be printing a riser using PETG so it should be ok. Hopefully.
  2. My truck’s axles are too short, where I can’t get the pulleys and the wheels on at the same time. It’s the Torqueboards 218mm trucks with caliber baseplate, but I can’t even get the bearings for the pulleys in. What are some good options for replacement hanger/trucks? I was looking at the Mboards 15" precision trucks but they seem a bit wide. I was also looking at the boardnamics 220mm trucks which I like, but I’m not sure what fixed axle/shoulder bolt means. I’m looking for a RKP truck that will be able to fit a pulley & motor. What trucks do y’all use, and how long are the axles?

I was thinking of picking up the omni h5 hub + 140mm rubber wheels as my next upgrade, so preferably a truck that fits that one too.

I would really appreciate some truck/hanger upgrades that’ll be able to fit both the wheel & pulleys! And here’s what I’ve got on my board so far. 1.5mm thick aluminium folded & welded sheet metal as the enclosure to act as a strong case + heatsink for the dv6s & bms.

Thanks in advance!

Matrix iii are a decent truck that’s fairly cost effective. That should fit your needs

1 Like

Would make a less than desirable ride on a non angled deck though.

5 Likes

Would recommend 220s, 270s dont like me and seem to have enough leverage to bend over time on shitty roads imo

270 front 220 back ~10"wide deck i think

As far as axles, they come uninstalled, as below, and you bolt them into truck, either 10mm or 10-8mm stepped iirc

1 Like

Petg riser should be fine up to like 0.3 inches but use like 70% gyroid infill and 4 walls at least

1 Like

Ooof good eye. Sorry about that.

I’ve done it a bajillion times. Just trying to balance myself out :innocent:

1 Like

DKP trucks would work.

BN RKP 270s can work.
I have a couple sets to let got of.

The TKP trucks like Onboard uses on the Zeus would work.

Another consideration, although sketchy with this deck is extending the wheel base with an extension like the one Mboards sells.

Looks like a great starter build dude! Welcome to the forums.

Looks like you’ve got lots a longer drop-through left on your deck; You can drill new mounting holes and mount your truck baseplates further out. This should solve your wheel bite better (and IMO, this will give the board a better feel then putting it on tall spacers)

Could you send picture of what you mean?

1 Like

Some truck hangers have removeable axles, like my beloved Kahuas. Others like in this case have the axles locked in.

These should bever be an option IMHO.

But this is good advice. OP would get them quicker from you as well.

If sticking with your current trucks: What is causing these gaps? Ideally, your pulleys would run closer to the mount.

2 Likes

I’m a adament fan of DKP, but then again I don’t know how to ride straight

Two points:

1. You’re clearly a better rider than me.

2. DKPs show their shitty side at speed.

1 Like

Move your motor mounts inward then If you have a hacksaw and a file or better yet a Dremel you can always remove a portion needed from each axle to get the clearance needed for your wheels and pulley I’ve done a few times on stock caliber trucks myself.

Or there’s a will there’s a way just get crafty

I’ve ridden that same setup at 30mph :man_shrugging:

Definitely not a relaxing ride at that speed

Thank you everyone for the help and kind replies! I’m quite excited to build my new one. I used to ride an Exway which is in the process of shitting itself and I popped in Australia a month ago and got an opportunity to ride their prototype Mach One boards. It’s performance inspired me to build a new one!

1 Like

Ahh okay that’d be great if I can just swap out the axles. I think BN 220 will be great!

Yup! I put 60% infill with 4 walls on the current risers I have printed. I got recommended a 60degree front and 30 degree rear. I think I may try to reduce the angle and get some sort of riser thing.

Ah I may get the 220s/270s. I would like to stick with the 8mm bearings I’ve got and I’d prefer to keep the board somewhat compact as I carry it around too. I also prefer RKP so I may just stick with RKP. DKP’s too turny and unstable at speed for me. If you’re willing to sell the BN270s I’m happy to take them! Unfortunately I’m located in Korea and I’m not sure how much the shipping would be.

1 Like

Thank you!

I may try that but I’ve also seen people have drop throughs that broke. It is a quality landyachtz deck but I’m a heavy(~90kgs) rider and I do prefer reliability until I can get the omni esk8 carbon deck.

This is a photo of the wheels. I’m not sure how to show it exactly but the pulley has a spot for a bearing to go, but the only way I can install the wheels & screw it on is to basically just shove the pulley & wheel in, and let it grind against the trucks which is… undesirable.

2 Likes

Fair enough! Great you’re thinking about reliability. Very often an afterthought (or not a priority) on DIY builds (speaking from experience😅)

2 Likes