China's First Mountainboard Contender? (Ecomobl Telum & Ripper Series Discussion)

Most of us know about all the Aliexpress craptastic “mountainboards” that get thrown around for super cheap prices. There haven’t been too many real mountainboards out there from the China side of things, minus maybe Propel and Cycleagle.

Does this change now? Maybe. Ecomobl is a very interesting company, and currently (I think) the only company investigating / using planetary gear drives on their boards. Well, just recently, Ecomobl has had some more interesting developments.

The first of these is the Ripper. I remember first seeing pictures of the Ripper a few weeks ago, maybe more than that. The Ripper is Ecomobl’s first real mountainboard. Their other boards are kind of like mountainboards, but the Ripper is the first with a deck similar to what most of us would consider “built for offroading.” It also features channel trucks, which are actuated by springs rather than bushings.

With that into consideration, the main benefit of this is that the battery is top mounted, so when you run over rocks and whatnot, you never have battery or enclosure damage. You can see the ripper below:

https://www.ecomobl.com/products/ecomobl-ripper-all-terrain-electric-mountain-skateboard-200-off-code-ecoripper-products/

While it’s not as pretty as some of our mountainboards, it’s a decent first go in my opinion. So what are the specs?

Hm. Interesting.

Allegedly, you are able to swap the battery, which weighs approx 8kg. The whole board allegedly weighs 23kg, according to the site.

In terms of drivetrain, we’ve got two 8 inch AT wheel planetary gear drives. These seem similar to ones used in the past, and my guess is that they’re pretty much identical to the ones used in previous boards. I’ve heard good and bad things about them.

Here’s their marketing jargon:

As for the battery, apparently it is simply a 12s4p, adding up to 768wh. I’m not really sure what cell that is, but using the calculator, it seems like it should be 4400 mAh cells, which doesn’t really make sense to me, but who knows. Could be some cell I’m not familiar with.

This image confuses me as to what they’re trying to actually say here. Usually when people talk about C ratings they’re talking about Lipos. Could this be lipos? Most likely not, but very odd terminology.

The other mechanical parts on here are the deck, which appears to be made of wood, and then the trucks, which are ecomobl’s spring trucks. No idea how good these are, but that’s what they’ve got.

The ESC appears to be some kind of Lingyi by its shape and size, apparently configured for 55 amps. I would assume this is 55amps per motor, but not sure.

Anyways, that’s most of the facts about the Ripper.

The more recent development is this bad boy: the Telum, the Telum Pro, and the Telum BA. Why are there three entirely different models? Not really sure, but that’s how they chose to do it. Let’s break these down a bit. And WOW look at those prices. Talk about premium.

So what have we got here?

Staring at these pictures for a while, you’ll see some similarities. At the base level, all three seem to use the same trucks, same motors, same esc’s, same deck, and same battery enclosure. However, they are all laid out slightly differently.

Oh wait… There are some similarities here to the Ripper. Same battery, same motors, and same battery enclosure? Could that also be the same trucks, and the same esc? I think so. So I guess you’re paying a premium for the carbon fiber deck?

Starting with the Telum base model, it appears to be basically identical to the Ripper, minus the deck.

After looking at the page, it seems like the only difference I could find was that the esc is supposedly configured for 55A instead of 50.

Next up, we have the Telum pro, which at first glance appears to just be a 4WD version of the Telum. However, the other major upgrade is the battery. With the Telum pro, you get a 12s6p battery instead of a 12s4p.

https://www.ecomobl.com/products/telumboard-infinity-pro-electric-mountainboard-new-arrivals-products/

Now, to me, the battery enclosure looks exactly the same, so I have to wonder, is there some weird picture error going on here, or does the 12s4p have space for more cells in its enclosure?

The only other upgrade I was able to see here is that allegedly the ESC is configured for 60A, instead of 55A, like on the base Telum.

Finally, we come to the big boy. The Telum BA. Oh wait. Almost everything is exactly the same… HMMMM. So what’s different?

https://www.ecomobl.com/products/telumboard-infinity-ba-2in1-electric-mountainboard-new-arrivals-products/

I guess, the main difference here, is that you get the 10 inch tires with it, and the ESC is configured for 65A instead of 60, as with the Telum Pro. I can’t really tell what else is different here, seems to be the same battery, deck, trucks, motors, enclosure, bindings… You get the point. So why the insane premium price? Couldn’t tell you! Maybe Ecomobl will release more info about it later but man, you could build an INSANE DIY for that kind of money.

Use this thread to discuss your thoughts about these new mountainboards, and talk about how ridiculous they are, good or bad.

I’m intending to reach out to Ecomobl to see if I can have one of these to beat up and review for you guys, but we’ll see how that goes. I would love to compare it to a real mtb like my haero, and see if it even can hold a candle to something like the boardnamics gear drives, and a real 12s7p of p42a, with quality tires and matrix 2 trucks.

9 Likes

I have only one question.

What in the actual fuck?

9 Likes

Dude I was wondering the same thing lol

It’s like they want you to pop your tires on em. My only thought is that it’s a lame version of a wheel cutout.

Maybe it’s so Trampa won’t give them crap about their deck lol

Those 10 inch tires do look kind of beefy though haha

2 Likes

@Venom121212 where be your moo cow pic?

Edit: found it :rofl:

:cow::cow::cow:

5 Likes

Beat me to it. Ecomoobile cowtipper.

1 Like

These are some of the ugliest boards I’ve ever seen

8 Likes

Since when china gave a crap about that

6 Likes

:cow:

1 Like

overpriced

Think of modifying a lacroix jaws by top mounting the batteries and installing straps. Or with endeavor pro instead.

1 Like

Or build your own, imagine what you could do with 4400 bucks

Apex airs, GD, 4wd, and an even bigger battery

True but a Lacroix is NOT a mountainboard, and is not built to do the things that something with a top mount would do, endeavor pro, more so, but still not to the same level, I think.

The have a “mechanical charm” feel to it

Or like, “my mom says I’m pretty” feel

3 Likes

I gotta say, I love how professional your write up was while still absolutely dripping with sass.

5 Likes

Hahaha I was hoping someone would notice

2 Likes

That’s my entire vernacular at work. I speak that language fluently.

1 Like

I honestly feel like they copied what a mountainboard looks like without actually understanding what makes a mountainboard a mountainboard. The deck looks way too thick to have any appreciable amount of flex, which kind of defeats the purpose of the camber IMO. Similarly I’m not too sure on the battery mounting method, but my guess is it doesn’t allow for deck flex either. Then the bindings are on backwards and at a weird angle, and the channel trucks seem a little too wide to be practical offroad almost at 20" - more than a Hypertruck. Good luck trying to get that around a singletrack. 55-70 pounds doesn’t help its maneuverability either. It looks like an MTB, but it sounds like it’d be a horrible one in practice.

4 Likes

My thoughts as well

Yep, I read 21 layers of carbon fiber, which seems nuts compared to trampa’s not even carbon fiber build

Also something I was concerned about but I doubt the deck even flexes much

lol

Yeah, I didn’t know how wide hypertrucks were but I also thought this

I know, I can’t imagine trying to hop with something that heavy, it’d be like putting bindings on a lonestar

1 Like

According to Lacroix’s spec sheet even the Lonestar SS only weighs 51lb, so add another 20 to that for the top of the line model. It costs the same though so I guess you get more pounds per dollar? That’s big in weightlifting right? :rofl:

1 Like

Inb4 hydraulic jump boards

Eyyy papi get me those bouncing pimp boards, where are my tiny wheels at

1 Like

And a 3 foot spoiler. Three feet tall.

1 Like

Hmmm… beef… Gonna see if i can grab those chonky boys for my m24pro… cause its not heavy enough :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure how well this complete would perform but their drives def work well running mountainboard builds. Wonder how this would stack up with ECOMBS - affordable and easy to build eMTB someone in boston pick one up so i can do a side by side

1 Like