Cheap Urethane Build

My sister wanted to get into ESK8, so I made a deal with her to split the cost 50/50… There is no particular budget but the main goal was to keep it cheap. I hope to use some parts I have laying around too. Its really only going to be for going around the neighborhood so performance and reliability are not super high on the list for the requirements. :grin:

I started with a cad model and she decided she wanted it to look similar to a boosted so I made a model while she picked out a design to paint on the bottom… we created this:

The enclosure is the only stuff that really matters, I made the trucks in 30 seconds all by memory :joy:

Then I worked out the specs:

The drivetrain won’t be anything special, probably just dual 5055’s and 83mm or 90mm wheels. Enough to cruise around without hills being too much of a problem. ESC wise I’ll just use a Dickyho belt ESC for now until I buy a Stormcore for my eMTB and put the FSESC in this. Plus it comes with a remote. Last important item is the battery, which will be 2x 5s 5000mah Lipos with a DALY BMS. Cheap and powerful, no welding or soldering necessary.

Now the build starts:

I wanted it to look nice as one of her main priorities was cosmetics. I started by scraping all the crap off an old deck from my first build. Then I used a hammer and pliers and whacked the shit out of the threaded inserts that were already in it from before.

Then I sanded it clean and proceeded to chisel out a wire path in the top of the deck in true DIY style with a flat head screw drive and a utility knife…

Then I flooded the channel with epoxy and used silicone to create a smooth top surface… Turned out surprisingly good, no bumps or areas sticking up. :joy:

That’s where the progress ends, painting and 3D printing will begin soon so I will keep updating this thread.

8 Likes

I believe reliability is very important to get friends & family into the sport. My friends would never want a board if it broke as often as the ones I personally use do :laughing:

5 Likes

Until I get a VESC and remote I’m probably gonna limit her to mode 1 while she’s learning so I’m not too worried. Hopefully it will be at least safer than a Meepo :joy:

1 Like

I second this

3 Likes

@b264

I see how it makes me look like an asshole for saying its not going to be reliable. Obviously I want it to be as reliable as I can possibly make it… I’m not going to purposely half-ass this build because I want it too look nice.

I guess I’m looking at reliability in a top performance standpoint and not a “will this kill me if i ride it” point of view…

If anything it will be better constructed than anything I have ever made… someone else being harmed because of my work scares me to death…

1 Like

Reliability is the absolute hardest thing to get right.

1 Like