Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign) (Tested and Functional)

Give me a bit @ziploc. I’ll make the corrections to your summary and post it. I’m kinda busy this week

Thanks! Certainly no emergency.

1 Like

Does anyone have a blue tooth module that they recommend?

I’ve been using a pair of HC-05 modules I bought from Ebay. Generally they work just fine - but recently the unit on the board side doesn’t like to initialize unless I reset the power after the initial power-up. I’m guessing it’s seeing a transient over the data lines when the VESC powers up.

I just ordered a pair of JDY-30’s from ebay. They’re actually a bit cheaper, and some folks claim they’re better. We’ll see.

1 Like

Actually keeping the original post updated with a summary on progress is a good idea. Seems like good practice and a good way to convey concise updates to my various projects

4 Likes

You don’t know how happy this makes me! :smiley:

2 Likes

Cheap FOCer:
Open source hardware
(based on the VESC 4.12)

Advantages:

• Lower build and BOM cost
  • TO-220 FETs allow for big heat sink attachment for better thermal performance
  • SMD components no smaller than 0805 make hand assembly practical
  • Added ON/OFF capability to turn off control circuitry when controller is not in use. A simple mechanical switch will achieve this when connected to the “ON/OFF” 2-pin header.
  • Can fit in typical “350W” ebike enclosures
  • Can fit in Hammond 1590b enclosures
  • Runs cooler than other VESCs

Disadvantages:

• Larger than original VESC. Cheap VESC is 45mm x 92mm
  • Higher profile with TO-220 package FETs
  • Additional assembly steps to beef up high-current traces. 2 layers of 1oz copper can’t handle the current flowing through during operation. Assembler will have to apply wire/solder wick/bus bar to the exposed Power, Ground, and Phase traces.

Cheap FOCer 2:
Open source hardware
Mostly same advantages of the Cheap FOCer but based on the VESC 6 and has many improvements
More details when new thread is created for this controller

Serious FOCer

Features:

• VESC 6 Based
  • 15V to 84V operation
  • TO-274 FETs. Estimated 75A/150A continuous/peak current

Intended to have both fully assembled and DIY kit versions available.

Little FOCer

• VESC 6 Based
  • 15V to 84V operation
  • TO-220 FETs. Estimated 35A/70A continuous/peak current
    *Physically smaller than the Serious FOCer and better suited for esk8

Intended to have both fully assembled and DIY kit versions available.

Mother FOCer:

• Not a thing anymore, This was going to be a controller with 12 FETs total (FETs in parallel). Put on indefinite hold due to design challenges with paralleling FETs. Most likely this concept will be applied to a much more powerful controller…

These are not an exhaustive list of features for these controllers. Please visit their respective threads for the up to date capabilities.

12 Likes

I’ve used the Metr module and never had any issues. Some people don’t like it because it isn’t open source but I don’t really see the issue there

2 Likes

@shaman Actually have a question for you that I dont think has been asked in either a while or has seen much light. Do you plan on, or are willing to, or are able to provide the KiCad/EasyEDA/Literally Anything else files for the PCB configuration?

I wanted to try and ‘something’ with the build but really dont want to (but probably will) manually map it out in easyEDA.

1 Like

For the Cheap FOCer 1? If so, I created it in Altium. Not exactly a hobbyist friendly EDA…

2 Likes

Just some info about VESC OW and IMUs

Most VESC based controllers use the COMM port to add a IMU (namely TX, RX, GND and 5V/VCC) as does basicly any BT module.
So you basicly can’t use a BT module and an external IMU at the same time unless either BT or the IMU is already integrated. On the OG VESC 6 is the IMU integrated, the COMM-port remains free and I can confirm that the trampa BT module works plug and play with the balancing function at the same time.

With other VESC based ESC it’s a different situation I certainly don’t know about any other common VESC based controller that has a functioning IMU populated and thus leaves the COMM port unused.

I saw that you already discovered the Old Forum OW build guide thread, other than this and the members who posted there is the info very limited on documented projects, the only thing I can say the VESC 6 (or another VESC based ESC with integrated IMU) are by far easier to use.
the Fungineers YT Channel has a series but not very detailed on IMU implementation.

1 Like

I’m pacing like I’m waiting on lab results!

Just sayin’
:smiley:

1 Like

What like this?

6 Likes

I’ve added an “UPDATED SUMMARY” to the original post. I’m going to try and makes this a new discipline for me and my threads as suggested.

2 Likes

Ok. The Cheap FOCer 2 thread has been created. I wanted to wait until after beta testing and have a v1.0 ready, but I need help funding the project. It’s been prototyped and proved to be functional on my test bench. Any help is appreciated!

5 Likes

Does anyone know if a pick and place file has been posted for the cheap FOCer?
I’d like to try LCSC’s assembly service (at least for the stm32 and drv, but I don’t think I can generate the pick and place file from just the BOM and gerbers.

2 Likes

I haven’t posted it publicly. I’ve really optimized the Cheap FOCer 2 for JLCPCB’s SMT service and I’m trying to push that version for newcomers. It really is a better design in my opinion. However if you still want the pick and place files for the Cheap FOCer 1 then go ahead and PM me.

6 Likes

Just double checking… the Cheap FOCer 2 hasn’t officially been released yet - right?

2 Likes

Not yet. I’m validating one of the beta units right now. It’s looking pretty good though!

7 Likes

Hey @shaman for each componemt on cheap focer what are the most critical values to be exact as on your BOMs.

2 Likes

Basically anything in the power stage. The FETs, caps, DRV, ect. The STM of course. It might be easier to ask what you could skimp on. Was there something in particular?

2 Likes

Sorry for no answer in this couple days. Had a hard week at uni. So basicly any think in power stage, all chips, and all capacitors need to be as writen in BOM?

1 Like