Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign) (Tested and Functional)

Yes but I won’t have time to get it to you in until much later today after work.

Aaaay, Ill be able to use the 8301’s that I ordered on accident before I tried to assemble my first batch :smiley:

Looking forward to the new thread once you’re ready - lots of questions I have will likely be answered at that point.

3 Likes

Thanks! I really appreciate it.:grin:

1 Like

Tragically, I don’t think I can keep track of the variants that will be on offer anymore. Any chance we could get a very brief listing of the units you’re working on, and which ones will be open-source or available as kits (with no parts soldered)?

1 Like

Fair enough.

OSHW controllers:
Cheap FOCer
Cheap FOCer 2

I do not intend to sell these. Everything will be made available in order for someone to make them for them self.

Commercial controllers
Serious FOCer
Little FOCer

These will be sold by my company. The intent is to offer both fully assembled units and DIY kits. The DIY kits would come with the SMD components already soldered leaving the customer to finish out the through-hole components and the remainder of the assembly.

12 Likes

5 Likes

What if someone wants hardcore mode DIY kit with all the compontents loose? :rofl:

2 Likes

So here’s me trying to make sure I’ve got the bullet points for each unit. Sorry to trouble you with this, but I’ve been following both threads from the start, and I’ve followed your changes and thinking, but I wasn’t smart enough to keep a summary somewhere.

Cheap FOCer:
Open source hardware
(based on the VESC 4.12)

Advantages:

• Lower build and BOM cost
  • TO-220 FETs allow for big heat sink attachment for better thermal performance
  • SMD components no smaller than 0805 make hand assembly practical
  • Added ON/OFF capability to turn off control circuitry when controller is not in use. A simple mechanical switch will achieve this when connected to the “ON/OFF” 2-pin header.
  • Can fit in typical “350W” ebike enclosures
  • Can fit in Hammond 1590b enclosures
  • Runs cooler than other VESCs

Disadvantages:

• Larger than original VESC. Cheap VESC is 45mm x 92mm
  • Higher profile with TO-220 package FETs
  • Additional assembly steps to beef up high-current traces. 2 layers of 1oz copper can’t handle the current flowing through during operation. Assembler will have to apply wire/solder wick/bus bar to the exposed Power, Ground, and Phase traces.

Cheap FOCer 2:
Open source hardware
Same as the Cheap FOCer – but based on the VESC 6

Serious FOCer
VESC 6 based
Commercial controller – sold by Shaman’s company both fully assembled and available as a kit with the SMD components already soldered.
(Not sure about the voltage and current specs on this one)

Little FOCer
VESC 6 based
Commercial controller – sold by Shaman’s company both fully assembled and available as a kit with the SMD components already soldered.
(Not sure about the voltage and current specs on this one)

Then from the top of your other thread - the Mother FOCer (I’m guessing this got conflated into the serious FOCer?)

Mother FOCer:
• 15V to 84V operation
• Expected power of approx 5kW with TO-247 FETs and good heat sinking
• Has primary features of VESC controllers (FOC, configurable current/temperature limits, throttle response, dual motor operation, ect.)
• Different versions for different FET packages
• TO-247 FET and 12 TO-220 FET versions for higher current capability
• Single-sided dual-layer PCB
• Small 45mm x 101.5mm board size
• Each switch node has it’s own bulk cap, pwr, gnd and phase cable holes. Reduces need for beefing up long traces for increased current handling capability
• Utilizes DRV8353RS to achieve higher operating voltage, superior fault detection, and small footprint. Also allows for tailored slew rate control to minimize ringing/spiking in the power stage
• Easy On/Off capability with switch of choice
• Wireless Bluetooth transceiver module can be easily added for wireless interface with VESC Android App. Allows for easy configurations of different speed/power profiles that can be selected at will.

Again - so sorry to trouble you, but it would be great if you could help me fill in the blanks.

4 Likes

You’ll have to go the Cheap FOCer route for that. There’s no way I can warranty something that the customer builds from scratch. It’s already going to be hard enough to support a DIY kit version as I’ve described it…

2 Likes

Sorry, missed this earlier. We started a thread because it’s just so much fun:

Can I trouble anyone to check my summary above regarding the current versions Shaman is developing? I don’t know if it’s possible, but it would be great to keep an updated post at the top of the thread with all the up-to-date stuff.

It’s not in a terribly optimal location, but I’ll be more than happy to update my post with any info people give me.

It looks like I’ve got the 8th post on this thread. That’s not the perfect spot either, but it’s better. I’d be happy to keep that as the updated summary.

1 Like

It is a little hard to keep track of, pretty much just got to wait until they are available for sale.

Cheap FOCer 2 seems like a good choice for diy builds in 2020.

2 Likes

Yeah - but it can’t hurt to try. This is one of the frustrating things about these kinds of threads. You can follow it along in real time, but the only record of the current state is basically the whole thread. And much worse for someone that comes along later. They find the thread that has exactly what they’re looking for, but things are changing and updating rapidly in the early posts. So you get clever and decide to just scroll to the last page. You find on the last page people are now debating who was the best minor league pitcher of all time - and the moderator has closed the thread.

So I’m going to try and make an effort to help keep a brief summary near the top. Maybe a fools errand - but maybe not(?)

2 Likes

My god was reading thinking yes yes threads get messy then I read that part and got a good laugh out.

I appreciate your efforts, @shaman doesn’t have time to both develop kick ass VESCs and keep everybody informed on every part of it.

Sometimes you just gotta read the whole thread. I’d be nice to avoid it though.
Joe Bauman hands down.

2 Likes

I agree completely. I’m hoping I can come up to speed with his, or other user’s, input, and then keep the summary updated for everyone.

1 Like

Are the files/BOMs/Gerber’s going to be released?

1 Like

Give me a bit @ziploc. I’ll make the corrections to your summary and post it. I’m kinda busy this week

1 Like

Absolutely!

1 Like

Does anyone know of a good site, youtube video or forum where I can learn about IMUs and how best to integrate them with the vesc?

My build is a little more complicated. I’m working on building a one wheel. It’s my first build. I’m aiming a little high. I know have quite the learning curve ahead of me. What I lack in knowledge I make up for in shear stubbornness. When I hit a wall I usually beat my head against it until I figure it out.

I know v6+ vescs are the preferred way yo go but I’ve already ordered cheap FOCer v.1 PCBs and I’m glutting for punishment.

3 Likes

Does anyone have a blue tooth module that they recommend? I have had much luck with the ones I have used in the past.