Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign) (Tested and Functional)

@doomy if you don’t have any thermal adhesive on hand you can simply mix epoxy and thermal paste. Roughly 50 50 seems to work.

@shaman The field weakening is just my crude implementation. I tried the Axiom PR and it just squealed and didn’t spin? I did copy their field weakening ramp down though as that seemed like a prudent safety feature.

In any case I was able to get 30% extra speed from field weakening with a few hundred watts of extra heat. It seemed to work just as well as on phase shunt hardware but not surprising as the observer is usually fine at high speeds and moderate currents. I got a quick video of it which I’ll upload later.

6 Likes

@shaman 1.0 pcb’s and parts ordered. hopefully this time next week ill get the parts and assembly for testing over the following weekend.

Edit: Also Sorry everyone, i ordered the last 12 https://lcsc.com/product-detail/MOSFET_Wuxi-NCE-Power-Semiconductor-NCEP60T20_C284868.html

I cant seem to find suitable alternatives on Mouser or Digikey either.

3 Likes

Try these as an alternative until LCSC restocks
https://lcsc.com/product-detail/MOSFET_Wuxi-NCE-Power-Semiconductor-NCEP60T18_C216780.html

A bit higher Rds(on) but not too bad. They’re also a bit cheaper.

FYI for everyone I’ve widened the cable holes in the v1.0 release. Now one shouldn’t have to origami things into place if using 10awg.

11 Likes

It probably doesn’t make sense in 4.12 hardware, but for others you should consider providing the option of attaching screw terminals. Like the DieBieMS.

2 Likes

Cool. I hope this feature gets officially integrated into the VESC tool/firmware. I know it’s one of the most anticipated feature requests

Yeah I’m probably not going make this happen for the cheap FOCer. Maybe for my other designs but I need to see if it has any advantages other than convenience.

1 Like

Thanks @district9prawn, i used a epoxy and thermal paste mixture like you suggested.

The focers got some real action today, run them with both 7s and 13s BLDC.

Also finished beefing up traces on focer nr4.

A few hints:

Try to get some solder on the other side like in the following picture, the lower part of the mosfet legs is not very thick so this will help getting the current to the upper part of the leg.

When using copper wire to beef up the traces i solder the VCC cable after the GND cable so there is double the insulation between them.

Two 2.5mm2 copper wires should be more than enough.

5 Likes

13s is really pushing it for 4.12HW. Be careful doing this!

I really appreciate highlighting good assembly tips.

How did the FOCers perform? Do you intend to FOC with them as well?

1 Like

Thanks shaman, i know 13s is already over the save limit but most of my batteries are either 13 or 14s. I successfully run the flipsky 4.12 fsesc on 13s for over 1000km now. Hope to do the same with your focers. If a DRV get blown up i just replace it, got some spares and alot of practice now thanks to you.

I just run the board up a steep hill and down again and the even without cooling the mosfets only got up to 50C thats already better than the flipskys. Will do some more tests and post updates here.

Yes i plan to run them on FOC but probably not with a full 13s battery :wink:

6 Likes

Awesome! Now imagine this with the aluminum bar plus aluminum enclosure technique!

1 Like

arrived today

6 Likes

@doomy Super looking forward to hearing about your results with FOC mode.

I dont know if it was just the FLESC 4.20 that i had but BLDC was garbage - absolutely no torque and loads and loads of cut-out issues.

Im wondering if i should just place an order for some DRV’s on Aliexpress since their fairly cheap (and it will take a month to get them here).

probably missed it, but how much did an ESC run you?
PCB + components?

(And how long did it take you to solder and build?)

@murdomeek

I just ordered my parts, PCB (10pc’s) + Stencil came out to 28~ due to shipping. then parts sans anything not on the BOM was about 78~ for two (plus a pair of extra DRV’s). so about 53ish per vesc, less you count the per/pcb cost its closer to 41~.

Laborwise, this all seems pretty simple to solder, i grabbed the stencil so i can just paste, place and solder with no fuss, id bet with some practice you’d get a board done in 1-2 hours?

2 Likes

If you order for 5pcs it will be around 25$ per piece.

The first one took me around 3h to build. The other 3 maybe 3h more. Practice makes perfect :wink:

I also spent around 10h looking for and resolving minor faults and errors like current/voltage sensing problems, can bus not working, resistors going up in flames and fawlty drv’s mostly due to bad soldering.

4 Likes

The first board took me a few hours and it felt like most of the time was spent matching up a component with its designator. Once I had an assembled board as a reference and some familiarity with the layout it got much faster.

4 Likes

My VESC is using 14AWG, so I was a bit concerned I didn’t use wires thick enough :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Use 18awg. The freeworld is fucking awesome! :wink:

Well, i could not leave it be:

Unbenannt

Videos will follow :wink:

11 Likes