Cheap FOCer! (VESC compatible 4.12 redesign) (Tested and Functional)

received my boards today from jlcpcb, well… they tried to deliver them but i wasn’t in so i’ll have them tomorrow and then the build begins, i have a 1590b case on order and heatsinks that will work already. may have to order more pcb’s now the v1.0 is out :laughing:

1 Like

Majority of my parts arrived today.

enough to make 5 FOCers. PCBs are on their way too.

5 Likes

Everything seems to work but it won’t be seeing real world use for a while.

I will try field weakening on the bench today though :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

If anyone has one or two v1 spare PCBs, I’m in! I will probably order some later in the month from JLCPCB and might buy extras to send to whoever is interested, but I don’t have time right now (got too many things going on already).

Thanks a lot @shaman for releasing v1!

1 Like

just saw this in the picture thread, though I link it here

3 Likes

I want to know how this goes. Is this from the Axiom firmware?

1 Like

looks dope

The first one is in the box and almost ready for some action. Still have to attatch the temperature resistor to one of the mosfets. Can i use epoxy or is there anything better suited like some thermal adhesive?

11 Likes

Aaaaaay, the one time my procrastination has been a benefit and not a bane to my existence. @shaman Glad to see V1 out. Im getting this sent over to JLpcb right now, i hope that ill get all my parts quickly and ill start providing feedback from a E-MountainBoard Perspective.

@doomy

That looks awesome! Tbh it doesnt seem all that big either, checking the casement dimensions thats 4.5" X 2.5" or so.

I wonder if it would be worth using the MT-60 Plug that Shaman mentioned on another board for the phase wires and just routing those from the central pack (including the Battery/Switch) to the motors so that i dont have two of these casements hanging out on the back-end of the board. Also having them all in one spot could make 4wd a possible option with less spaghetti factor.

3 Likes

Sorry I’m being lazy and didn’t read through the whole thread…but I’m interested in grabbing one of these in a week or two, I am going to rebuild a razor electric scooter with one of my motors and a new battery, theres a ton of room in there so one of these will definitely fit.

Do you have a round of pre-builts coming out soon or is everyone just ordering off of the BOM and making their own?

2 Likes

Sounds like @Shaman wanted to wait to do a group buy until the beta testing was complete. I suspect that this is still going on and will be for a while as the push to 1.0 didnt conclude the beta test; Specifically he pushed 1.0 out because of the influx of people wanting to DIY this and having issues with soldering the ground pad on the DRV.

So the answer to your question is - there are no pre-assmbled or ‘turnkey’ focers ready at the moment. And i suspect that there will only ever be a group buy and not just residual stock.

2 Likes

@Itsmedant, @Davewesh is correct. I want to have more data from beta testers before I sell this controller to the public. I want to see how reliable it is over time and abuse. Until then, you are welcome to build some yourself from the files off of the GitHub.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

The scooter project is on hold for a while anyways so I’ll be following the thread!!

1 Like

If only @DerelictRobot and I weren’t hoarding our 4 of them for a 4wd board…

10 Likes

You guys and your damn Smaug hoard.

2 Likes

This is some juicy hype…

2 Likes

@SeanHacker joe you managed to get 10awg soldered as phase wires? You cut the wire in diameter a bit on the last part?

2 Likes

I was just barely able to origami the first two just fiiine. But barely. The last one I had to cut maybe 5-10 strands off and then origami it. It’s was a bitch and I was upset afterwards. Then I was happy.

4 Likes

10AWG seems a bit overkill for phase wires. Or did I miss something?

You might’ve missed that sometimes it doesn’t hurt to over build? Not sure though. It’s all negligible in these terms.

P.S- It’s just what I had, so it’s what I used. :wink:

5 Likes