Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

I got my drill bits and taps today, thermal pad spacers come in on Monday. I’ll burn my 11Ah pack dyno testing a couple CF2s and let you know how it goes. I’ll probably try testing up to 80A phase.

1 Like

Had the same problem when trying HFI on a phub188 (middle sized hub motor) even with raising the voltage it would never detect the position so i had to add hall sensors. Its working well on 63 type outrunners.

1 Like

While setting up my mtn board with 2 CFOC2’s and two Keda 63-64 motors, the CFOC2 did motor and Hall sensor detection perfectly and first time on the first motor (these are internal Hall sensors I added), but getting it to detect the Hall sensors on the 2nd motor was a nightmare. A little research shows that this seems to be a common enough problem with the VESC. I found a number of suggestions. Finally, after trying a bunch of different configuration of the motor wires, I found one that works and it now reliably runs motor and Hall sensor detection.

Interestingly, when running detection in FOC mode, it had no trouble. That also seemed to be a theme with the VESC’s.

3 Likes

Has anyone had any success building and running the firmware included in the repo ? I am able to run it, but if I select any control app other than uart, I get a ‘boot loop’ all three lights flash about every second after a reset. If anyone has a working self built firmware it would be great to see it. I am trying to build a custom app for a bike motor.
Thanks for awesome project shaman.

1 Like

Did you change the hardware type to “Cheap Focer v2” ?

Thanks for quick reply, Yup, I switched the HW_SOURCE so the cheap focer 2 as per the github issue, still seems to be problematic.

1 Like

I flashed all focers from the group buy batch 2 with a compiled firmware.
The only thing i changed was in conf_general.h:

#define HW_SOURCE “hw_Cheap_FOCer_2.c”
#define HW_HEADER “hw_Cheap_FOCer_2.h”

yup, same changes I have made. I have been wondering if it could be the bootloader/firmware combo, I am flashing the firmware then the bootloader (using stlinkv2), not sure I am doing that part right, what was the sequence you used ?

1 Like

Yes, that could be it, i only flashed the firmware via STlink. I flashed the bootloader afterwards via vesc-tool

Ok, will try that, did you use the generic built in bootloader in vesc-tool or the one from the repo ?

Using the generic one included in vesc-tool (v2.06) resulted in the same thing, flashing lights after changing control app.

Yes i just flashed the generic bootloader. Do you use “make upload” to flash the firmware via STlink?

yup, have also tried stlink-gui but seem to get the same behaviour.

I have also been trying to get uart communication working, without any luck. I can connect an nrf51822 and it works as a ble device, but when I try to connect an arduino (that was working with vesc 4.12) using VescUart, it dosen’t work, have tried the 3 different firmwares in the cheap focer repo, and a few different variations of VescUart. I am slowly running out of ideas. If anyone has been able to get uart working from an arduino or similar device, it would be great to hear how it is working. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I have a working arduino UART based throttle for my scooter. Its running fsesc6.6.
Now Im connecting the focer instead to check its performance. Unfortunately I blew the DRV so I need to replace it before I can check if the arduino communicates.

I burnt a DRV now at 60A motor.

Not sure if it was due to the DRV memory loss I had all the time at 65A, or that I had OC protection set to “report only” instead of “disable”.

There were no issue at 50A which points to the DRV memory loss issue being the cause.

@shaman
When you had OC protection enabled, did you have any overcurrent faults set or was it always the DRV faults?

1 Like

Great, will be very interested to hear how it goes. Is the code you are using to communicate with the fsesc6.6 available anywhere ?

Its built from the VescUart lib. My code is pretty ugly but if it works I can send it to you.

I can check tomorrow with another focer.

1 Like

Awesome, good luck with the next focer.

When I had the DRV8301 OC protection enabled, the DRV itself would limit phase current to about 40A and make the motor sound terrible. It wouldn’t actually throw a fault.

3 Likes