Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Yes that’s why my situation sucks.

1 Like

They refunded you for the entire order or just for the value of 3 of them? What’d you all say?

1 Like

Full refund. I honestly expected only a partial refund but was surprised to see a refund for the whole order.

1 Like

Woah what’d you say, would you mind sharing that? They are trying to give me a 15$ coupon :confused: which wouldn’t even cover the DRV cost let alone shipping+assembly

@Style meant to Adress the post directly to you but I’m bad at internets

2 Likes

Hey, where I can find the dimensions of this block aluminium and the web site ?

It was just a random heatsink from amazon

This one I think.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I ordered some dirt cheap heatsinks from ebay. But the shipping takes forever…

1 Like

The repository which are mentioned in the first post you get here.
The whole parts except the pcb and its components you get here.
The Heatsink is 100 mm x 60 mm and you get it here.

4 Likes

For the English speakers among us…

1 Like

any decent EU supplier? Swedish post adds a 8€ fee to all china orders :confused:

2 Likes

It looks like you can select where you want it to ship from. Italy was probably the best option.

They offered me a $10 coupon at first too.
Since I placed my order with PayPal, I told the customer support representative that if my complaint will not be taken more seriously, I’ll creat a case with PayPal. From that point, the customer support manager reached out to me.
She asked for a video proof and for the schematic of the FOCer. She also offered a $100 coupon. I asked a refund instead of a coupon and without any questions I received a full refund, which I honestly didn’t expect that to happen.

I also linked this thread to show them I’m not the only one who had issues with their PCBs.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Damn your right I was stupid and assumed that it was china only cause it was such a small item and ali :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Would you be willing to share proofs that you sent them?

1 Like

I don’t have a video of the issue, as for the schematcic they can be found in the GitHub.

4 Likes

@shaman, I would like to ask one question regarding behavior of FOCer 2. Let’s assume this situation. During breaking, i.e. regeneration, current is fed back to the batteries. They have BMSes that (depending on them and batteries) might limit the max current that can be fed back to batteries. So if we exceed this current and they cut off batteries, what will happen with the surplus breaking energy, i.e current? What will happen with VESC in this situation? I am asking this as not that long ago, hacked hoverboard that we used for scooter suddenly, during regeneration, crashed/burned which resulted in damaged board, fets etc. It is interesting as I used that board for several months without issues (it is not imporant why that shitty board broke, but I am very interested in behavior of VESC in this situation) :slight_smile: Thanks.

3 Likes

It’s kinda a crapshoot from what I understand when your BMS cuts regen. I’ve had it happen once, somewhat intentionally and nothing blew up, that being said I was maybe going faster than walking speed while I was braking at full charge.

Either way that energy that is regenerated from your momentum has to go somewhere, where it ends up going and what it ends up damaging can vary but it’s a situation you want to try to avoid 100% of the time IMO.

That’s why a lot of people only run charge only BMS’s which in my mind it kinda pointless as at that point the BMS should be external and part of your charger to save weight.

What is interesting is that I had 3 batteries connected each with separate BMS (in parallel)… So even if one cuts off, other two should have somehow handled… This happened, when I added 3rd battery (I use hoverboard standard batteries…) It is still weird and not quite sure how to avoid this as those chinese batteries are like black holes - no ones knows how that BMS will behave.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you Shaman for this and the others for the help !

I’m a bit new to this, I have a small question :
Is the current version available on github working out of the box (Expecting that all of the components are availible) or does it still need some manual adjustments ?
Which manufacturer would you advice ?
I hope this is the right place to ask this,

Thank you in advance,
Ilias.

1 Like

@ilisparrow Did you read through the ordering and assembly guides?

There’s definitely hand soldering that needs to be done and flashing the firmware on the boards.

If you are looking for a fully assembled ready to run board you’d need to get it from someone selling those :slight_smile: