Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

I’m glad you took caution in powering up the boards. Going up to 5.5V shouldn’t have hurt anything. Glad the good ones are working well!

6 Likes

Would love to see the wire routing and internal packaging of this.

2 Likes

Hi, I will hopefully have fully assembled unit by the end of the weekend. Here is a link to an update/more info.

I was hoping the picture would show up but it does not in the preview, so here it is :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Perhaps someone could help me… I tried to flash my second FOCer, but during the flash, when verification started it stucked (for some reason), verification failed and now I cannot connect to MCU anymore… is there something I can do? I tried several STM-LINK programmers, double checked all pins and it still connects to good FOCer, but this one is not able to connect…

1 Like

You have probably bricked the MCU, you will need to reset it manually and program it afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEz0C2bT2M0&t=2s This may help you program it from scratch.
First do as he says, erase the memory, flash bootloader and then firmware all possible through the st-linkV2

3 Likes

nice reference.

1 Like

If I could buy you a cup of coffee… man… I would do that. Now I simply say Thank you. You just saved me the whole evening of soldering another FOCer as I thought this is screwed. Appreciate that.

1 Like

No problem, glad I could help! :slight_smile:

Would like to see some pictures of it taken apart.

What kind of cost is there for the stamped metal parts?

At the moment it is just a shell :smiley: the insides is empty. All it contains is some bare PCBs. I will post pictures once there actually is something to show. The cost of just the enclosure is around 10-15€ if you buy one. I will be making 20 units which I considered the minimum to buy to get quantity discounts on parts and based on that I will put them in enclosures or just the front panel etc… I will update this on probably my own thread to not hijack this

1 Like

Edit: Got removed the build question, got it working, likely was an issue on my side. I rebuilt everything including bringing over the drv file changes and it detected the same now.

I was going to test if the additional hall effect sensor filtering was helpful on my onewheel: https://github.com/vedderb/bldc/issues/182

1 Like

The additional software filtering helped out a ton for my onewheel at higher motor currents (which helped out with motor torque at low speeds). I might look at increasing the hall effect filter from the 2.2k on the focer to the 100ohm was tried out on that github issue.

If anyone wants a build to test out let me know.

5 Likes

as @shaman said, this batch had a faulty diode. Replaced that and everything was cool.

2 Likes

I wonder if the high currents through the motor is causing a lot of noise to get coupled into the Hall effect sensor signals. I might check this out under the oscilloscope

2 Likes

Can’t see how a Trampa vesc is relevant in this topic.

1 Like

…and $785.00!!!

3 Likes

Made a slim spacer/enclosure.

9 Likes

Hi, just want to inform that I received a full refund from JLCPCB for my 3pcs dead focers.
I encourage everyone who has issues with them to contact JLCPCB. Great customer service.

4 Likes

I suspect the 5 I ordered that just arrived have the bad DRV. I have tons of new dvr8302 in the workshop for my neoboxes. I think element 13 here have them in-stock.

1 Like

Be careful, you will need DRV8301. They are not compatible

4 Likes