Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Your end up melting stuff a lot when you start using air, kapton tape is your friend here, foil is also good. More you do the less you melt stuff including your fingers I have a cheapy of eBay around 50 pounds. Does the job. Managed to fix my unity and 3 of my flipskys.

3 Likes

Yup, the port pinout is completely reversed. That was the reason why my Metr didn’t work!

I hope I can show some logs to you guys this week. Will be testing on 13s. I know it’s risky, but the testing will be done on my m8s ebike. It’s much safer to be on an ebike when then FOCer decides to let the magic smoke out.

Also regarding the 5v rail heating - I don’t have those issues.

5 Likes

It’s reversed, but within the pinout, the RX & TX are reversed.

2 Likes

Inception lol

2 Likes

Anybody planning a group buy for the US / have extra PCBs (non-fully assembled) that they’d be willing to sell?

1 Like

I will have a few spare boards for Aussie builders.

2 Likes

Lemme know how much for two, see if I have the budget

Just try to go easy on the motor brake and regen currents. Those settings have the most impact on killing 60V abs max controllers

3 Likes

I’ve got 10pcs en route to Canada rn, looking to unload probably 6 of them

1 Like

I’m considering doing another batch (probably 10 this time). I’m in the S.F. bay area. I’m kind of thinking of taking the slow shipping option this time. I’ve got at least one guy that’s in for a couple of them. Anyone else nearby want part of this order?

would be interested as well. lemme know the price for 2 :grinning:

I feel dumb, where is it placed in the how-to? Can’t find it.

parts list:

1 Like

Getting this ready for when my second motor mount shows up.

3 Likes

Shows up!? I don’t follow. You just get yourself a chunk of aluminum and remove the part that doesn’t help you mount a motor. :grin:

1 Like

We didn’t connect a regen lever. The test was kinda fail tbh, because the DD hub motor he got was actually a 1kw (advertised as 2kw)
Motor detection said 25A and if we set motor limit to 40A then the FOCer cut out after pushing 30-35A. Stator saturation? No faults were shown…
We attached the FOCer to a beefy alu block and it didin even go over 35C. But the motor got to 70C while pulling just 30A.

1 Like

CFocer v2 now installed on 2 of my rides and ready for some testing.

12 Likes

Awesome, looking forward to hear your results :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve got a CFOC2 in this ride now…

And hopefully I’ll get the other two in this ride in the next few days…

14 Likes

Large hubs can be tricky to control correctly with a vesc. I don’t use the detection wizard for them and I do manual detection. I’ve done up to 80A with my ebike hub motor so it’s just a matter of dialing in the settings

2 Likes