Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

Has any one tried connecting four of the “Cheap FOCer 2” via CAN-BUS? Or if it is possible.
I read some where up there that the termination resistors might need to be removed from the slaves!

1 Like

I’ve never tried connecting more than 2 VESC’s, but yes, I’m pretty sure you’ll want to lose the terminating resistors on all but the two end units.

1 Like

2 weeks of assembly later :triumph:

29 Likes

Hey man-

I bumped your account so you can post and message freely.

Welcome!

2 Likes

You’ve been busy! Looks good btw

6 Likes

They are here! @shaman :heart:

17 Likes

Shits getting real.

12 Likes

Cool!
Got any more build photos?
Tell us about the 3D print and heatsink?
How much it all cost?
What problems you had?
What you plan to use them for?

So pumped right now for this project. :sparkler: :love_you_gesture:

I think the github repo has answers to all your questions if you dig through the guides.

Only problem i had building them was getting the IMUs to make a good connection. For me what fixed it was tinning both the PCB & the IMU and then applying firm pressure when heating it. In the end i got all 10 working.

I don’t have any plans for them. Just made them for fun. I tested one on a DIY onewheel i had sitting around. I also gave one to @adman and he also gave me a scooter, so I’m gonna put one that scooter. I may remove the trampas from my 2 wheel mountainboard and downgrade it to these, as it really doesn’t need that much power.

6 Likes

…downgrade :cry:

5 Likes

:crazy_face: You’re the one that said its only 30A continuous.

4 Likes

Ha true! Also being conservative :wink:

Nah I know the original VESC 6 is a premium product. You’re not gunna get the same output in the $20 to $40 controller price range.

4 Likes

Curious… do you mean a mountainboard with only two wheels or a 4-wheel mountain board with 2-wheel drive? I ask because I built a 4-wheel mountain board with 2-wheel drive, and I then built a board with only 2 wheels. The 2-wheeler is off-road capable, but really less suited for mountain trails.

And now, as an excuse for taking that tangent on Shaman’s thread - I’ll say something on-topic…

I’m planning to build 5 of these Cheap FOCer 2’s, but only need three of them. If anyone is interested in picking up one or two pretty close to my cost, let me know.

2 Likes

Why didnt I notice this thread before :open_mouth: Awesome project you have going here @shaman. Curious for Lee’s video, I might order some in future aswell :slight_smile: Keep it up :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Keeping 3 and selling 2 might be legit strategy for this community.

Say when it’s all said and done it cost you $150 to make 5 CFOC2s. You could sell your extra two for $75 a pop (assuming you built them well) and get your money back. This also gives people an opportunity to buy some CFOC2s outright.

6 Likes

Hello, I’m new to this world, thanks for having me! I’m currently designing my onewheel and another person in this group suggested this controller to me.

If anyone is planning to build one of these (my electronics skills are pitiful) I would love to purchase one.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey CW-

I bumped your account so you can post and message freely. We don’t have a lot of Onewheel enthusiasts here because we’re mostly skateboard goofs, but we’ll do our best to help you out.

Welcome!

1 Like

Thanks!! I’ve been working with Mohammad from Fungineers to help build a onewheel. I am a mechanical engineer so really excited about that aspect and designing up the onewheel from scratch in CAD. Hope to incorporate improvements to the real onewheel to end up with a better device. But don’t know a thing about building PCBs… Don’t mind a little hacking but this is out of my comfort zone. So hope someone makes an extra controller I can buy.

Chris

3 Likes

13 Likes

@ziploc I’m interested.

So feeling dumb, I can’t figure out how to message ziploc directly. Maybe I can’t because I’m new to forum.

1 Like