Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

I’ve got one board running at 10S (42V peak) and the other at 6S.

1 Like

Should be a piece of cake for the CFOC2.

2 Likes

Nice to see ur getting this done @shaman. Wish there was a simplied write-up of what’s what. Ur not selling them yet right?

2 Likes

At this time, I don’t plan to sell the CFOC2. I’m putting my commercial efforts into the higher voltage stuff. The plan is to let the community come together to find a way to source the CFOC2. I just simply don’t have the time right now…

The GitHub repo is almost ready for a v0.9 release that should summarize everything. I’ll also do a massive update the original post when I do the GitHub release too.

20 Likes

Really looking forward to it.

Open source design like this can really pay off to the community. Being able to buy a kit for DIY or an assembled unit from an experienced builder for a low price will make a big change in availability.

I’ve been involved with an open source ADS-B group for a few years and it has been interesting to see the price of commercial units fall as a result of some quality competition.

9 Likes

Am I interpreting correctly that what’s left to populate are:

• 5 SMT caps,
  • 1 inductor,
  • a diode
  • 2 through hole caps
  • 6 fets on the other side
  • 5 wires
  • 8 7 connectors
    (seems like a change in the diode and IMU chip from @Fungineers)

Optional:

• IMU chip
  • 4 resistors

Really, I could be patient and not play spot the differences, but I’m too hyped.

8 Likes

@shaman firstly thank you for this, it’s very kind of you to do this for the community.

I really fancy having a go at this and making a video about it. When do you expect to make the repository public?

9 Likes

In a couple of hours :slight_smile:

EDIT: Just kidding. Too impatient.

15 Likes

Damn its 23:20 here. I’m gonna place an order tomorrow! Would you mind if I PM you with some further questions for the video?

Also, fancy doing a skype chat for my channel too at some point? I’d like to bring some awareness to the stuff you are doing.

4 Likes

Sure let’s take it to PM.

8 Likes

I will look over the repository tomorrow and get a couple of units ordered and see how I want to play it but yes I will fire you a PM about it soon.

5 Likes

I’m happy to finally announce the v0.9 release of the Cheap FOCer 2! Special thanks to @bj97301, @NuRxG, and @Davewesh for formatting the repo into something truly outstanding, much better organized, and readable by humans.

Remember that this is still being beta tested (although successful so far). Myself and the other contributors to this project will be making tweaks as we go and as we receive feedback from the community. I hope this community enjoys having this open source hardware available to build, use, sell, modify, and improve.

24 Likes

Can we get some thoughts from testers regarding amperage ratings and reliability of this controller?

1 Like

Beta testing is still in progress but here’s what I have. I’ve been testing it in my ebike with a 10s battery at 70A motor current with no issue. Another has been testing it in a mountain board with a 10s battery at 50A motor current with no issue so far. There are more but still waiting on progress to made.

5 Likes

I put it on a onewheel and rode around my apt in my underwear, felt smooth and nice considering everything was taped together and calibrated and tuned in under an hour. Didn’t push it by any means, but the low speed balancing really tests if a VESC knows how to move a motor properly.

10 Likes

Good to know. I plan on a DIY onewheel and I’m thinking maybe I’ll DIY the whole thing including controller so great to know it performs well for this use case

5 Likes

Got an order in.

Mosfets and a few of the pin headers are out of stock or discontinued already.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s gunna happen unfortunately. None of the alternate mosfets were in stock?

https://lcsc.com/product-detail/MOSFET_Wuxi-NCE-Power-Semiconductor-NCEP60T20_C284868.html

2 Likes

Yeah I picked those ones up as per the out of stock github page.

The documentation is top notch. I put in an issue ticket for the discontinued connector.

8 Likes

Perfect. Thanks for bringing a viable alternative to the table when you raised the issue :+1:

5 Likes