Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

This is exactly what I I’ve been intending. Just like the the beta units. You only have to finish out the larger easy stuff

13 Likes

Thank you @Davewesh, I have thought about doing the same, but You seem to already have a way better idea than me, so I am happy to just support you.

Regarding the options you have mentioned: I think this particular FOCer should remain true to the “C” - cheap. I think the main value added by your efforts is:

• driving down the cost with bulk manufacturing
  • making it accessible to electronics noobs with fat soldering tips
  • easy and fast to order
  • paid but simple repairs/replacements.

In that spirit, I would not bother with cases/heat sinks nor warranty. Otherwise people might just as well buy one of the many new VESC6 versions coming out now.

(Ideally) It might be worth investing some thought about how to ensure the longevity of the project:

• have your operations documented in case you get busy or worse (survives the “hit by bus test”) for someone to continue the legacy
  • have some sort of paid repair program/documentation for units still circulating in a year or two.
7 Likes

Wow my dude, just wow!

:100:

4 Likes

@shaman just a more general question. Is it possible to have 4 vesc connected over CAN? Like 1 Master and 3 Slave?

1 Like

Theoretically yes but iv’e never put it to the test nor have I seen a rig that does this. I should try this with some FOCers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Basicly just make something like y splitter like for receiver, right?

1 Like

One would have a CAN bus cable with 4 connectors. All share the same CANH and CANL.

4 Likes

If youre truely lazy…

1 Like

That’s gold :joy:

for four via canbus you may need to separate the termination resistors on the middle two.

2 Likes

This is true. Only devices at the ends of the can bus need to be terminated. One can simply remove the termination resistors one the 2 devices in the middle.

The new rev has arrived. Still trying to crank out the beta units to the testers though. Things might get even slower with me due to current events

19 Likes

Things need to get faster so we can all order our parts and entertain ourselves while imprisoned at home. :frowning:

5 Likes

Fair point…I’m kinda in the same boat. Besides all the controller projects, I’m building an ebike. I know I know…it’s not an esk8 but it’s the best I can do until I learn how to ride something with no handle bars.

7 Likes

To be fair, my first endeavor on anything like a Mountain Board or Skate Board was when I built my first eMTB :slight_smile: Its kinda like getting the hang of a new motorcycle, you dont want to fall cause its new and its going to hurt. but eventually you get used to the way your body moves and its no problem!

2 Likes

Assembled and fired up the new rev. Spun a motor on the bench at 60+ amps FOC sensorless with no trouble. The beta units started having trouble with DRV faults at this point. Seems like my gate drive improvements worked but I’ll need to do further analysis to be certain. Expect waveforms soon!

14 Likes

Let me configure the Cheap FOCer for your eBike, so it does wheelies :smiley:

5 Likes

Maybe. One step at time though.

The IMU does work though!

13 Likes

So what is the final price looking at with all the components that are not included. I know I would not have the hands to do this small soldering. I think it would be beneficial if someone did do the preassembled thing and had a bunch of them ready to go.

Knowing what I know now I should have jumped on the ESCape when I had the chance.

1 Like