Cheap FOCer 2 (Open-source, Low-cost, VESC 6 based ESC) (v0.9 Release. Beta testing ongoing)

I used the extra 5V pins to power the LED ring around the button on my funwheel so it lights up when the board is powered.

6 Likes

@Josh, Picture or it didn’t happen :grinning:

1 Like

I can report that 3 out of 5 focers show the power regulation issue. All five of them are from the dreaded lot 88ASYCTG4. When ramping up the voltage on them the 5 volt rail stops at 5,2V for the good ones and exceeds 5,2V on the bad ones. I hope i did not break the other parts on the 5V rail by going up to 5,5V. Will replace the bad DRVs, waiting on new ones from china. By the way @shaman excellent work with the FOCers the good ones perform like a charm.

5 Likes

I’m glad you took caution in powering up the boards. Going up to 5.5V shouldn’t have hurt anything. Glad the good ones are working well!

6 Likes

Would love to see the wire routing and internal packaging of this.

2 Likes

Hi, I will hopefully have fully assembled unit by the end of the weekend. Here is a link to an update/more info.

I was hoping the picture would show up but it does not in the preview, so here it is :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Perhaps someone could help me… I tried to flash my second FOCer, but during the flash, when verification started it stucked (for some reason), verification failed and now I cannot connect to MCU anymore… is there something I can do? I tried several STM-LINK programmers, double checked all pins and it still connects to good FOCer, but this one is not able to connect…

1 Like

You have probably bricked the MCU, you will need to reset it manually and program it afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEz0C2bT2M0&t=2s This may help you program it from scratch.
First do as he says, erase the memory, flash bootloader and then firmware all possible through the st-linkV2

3 Likes

nice reference.

1 Like

If I could buy you a cup of coffee… man… I would do that. Now I simply say Thank you. You just saved me the whole evening of soldering another FOCer as I thought this is screwed. Appreciate that.

1 Like

No problem, glad I could help! :slight_smile:

Would like to see some pictures of it taken apart.

What kind of cost is there for the stamped metal parts?

At the moment it is just a shell :smiley: the insides is empty. All it contains is some bare PCBs. I will post pictures once there actually is something to show. The cost of just the enclosure is around 10-15€ if you buy one. I will be making 20 units which I considered the minimum to buy to get quantity discounts on parts and based on that I will put them in enclosures or just the front panel etc… I will update this on probably my own thread to not hijack this

1 Like

Edit: Got removed the build question, got it working, likely was an issue on my side. I rebuilt everything including bringing over the drv file changes and it detected the same now.

I was going to test if the additional hall effect sensor filtering was helpful on my onewheel: https://github.com/vedderb/bldc/issues/182

1 Like

The additional software filtering helped out a ton for my onewheel at higher motor currents (which helped out with motor torque at low speeds). I might look at increasing the hall effect filter from the 2.2k on the focer to the 100ohm was tried out on that github issue.

If anyone wants a build to test out let me know.

5 Likes

as @shaman said, this batch had a faulty diode. Replaced that and everything was cool.

2 Likes

I wonder if the high currents through the motor is causing a lot of noise to get coupled into the Hall effect sensor signals. I might check this out under the oscilloscope

2 Likes

Can’t see how a Trampa vesc is relevant in this topic.

1 Like

…and $785.00!!!

3 Likes

Made a slim spacer/enclosure.

9 Likes