Cheap FOCer 2 (Group Buy Batch 2)

No need to buy more components, its all included in the kit. You should get a heatsink and cables tough.

And don’t forget the thermal pad, i had to made do with kapton tape for now because nothing arrives from china anymore.

For a heatsink you can probably just use some aluminium plate or bar.

2 Likes

I’ll take 2 soldered with shipping to usa

Hey,

Shipping to US is a bit more expensive (9CHF+material) lets say 13USD. What exactly do you need soldered?

I am not good at soldering so as much as you can do, I have a soldering gun but pretty basic skills

1 Like

Please can you put me down for 1 @doomy?
I’ve done a tiny bit of soldering before, I feel like this could be a fun challenge!
I gather wires not included, so what AWG wire is required?

1 Like

Hi,

Great that you will do a second batch after all the hard work.
can you specify which smd parts still need te be soldered if i take the basic unit?
How small are they and how many?

Sure thing, i did both AWG 10 and AWG 12. I would recommend AWG12. AWG10 is a bit stiff but can handle more current.

1 Like

So that would be around 60 euros with shipping for a finished unit? Am I getting it right?

Yes thats right. You should still get a heatsink, thermal pad, screws, spacers and a case.

Im running 2 at the moment without heatsink and a cheap case:

3 Likes

I just ordered a double vesc but may be interested in the futur, I hope you’re not gonna get fed up with soldering :wink:
Very nice work

2 Likes

Hi @doomy

I would like to order 3 kits.

Could you tell what SMD components need to be soldered manually beside IMU ? I thought that SMT work is done by JLPCB

Thx

The IMU is the only thing that requires hot air. If you check the project Github it’s got a full soldering guide of what needs to be soldered, but it’s all meant to be done with a regular fine tipped iron.

1 Like

Sorry it’s slightly off topic but can anyone recommend a soldering station around the £35 mark?
I’ve just used university ones in the past.

A Weller 40W would probably do well, or stretch up to a TS100 for about £45-50

3 Likes

hey mate, is that still possible to get 3 of these or am i too late for the party?

100% I’d say that the TS100 is probably the best newbie (not to say its not a capable option) Soldering Iron out there. The tips are easy to change and find. As well there is a huge community out there for them with mods/accessories that are all open source and or cheap to do.

I had a cheapo Soldering/Hotair station (Something like this). Moved to a TS100, Hakko FX951-66 and a Quick 861DW.

edit: reference and clarifying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im also using the ts100 for everything smaller than awg12 / xt90

@Holbanner
Sure, just tell me what you need to be soldered and i will add you to the list.

1 Like

Hi @doomy

I would like to order 2 kits. No additional soldering needed.

Cool, do you need the IMU soldered?

Yes, please.