Cheap FOCer 2 (Group Buy Batch 2)

Testing and soldering the IMUs, practice make perfect, well almost. Right the good ones left the bad ones:

I also found another bad focer thats not willing to be flashed with the STLink… Maybe the STM chip is broken. :confused:

Bending MOSFET legs was a breeze tough, thanks to the bending jig it only took me around 15minutes. Well, making the jig took a lot more time :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

@doomy your a legend. I hope enough people tipped you for your hard work :wink:

6 Likes

Thank morpheus!

Some statistics, i got 49 of the 50 IMUs working. One flew away while i wanted to grab it with the pincers, it probably fell on the ground somewhere never to be found again.

Out of the 50 boards from JLCPCB there are 48 in working condition (i tested only the IMU/MCU by connecting them to VESC tool).
One was damaged visualy (burned traces) and the other has a probably broken MCU. I tested the programming leads.

Sodlering more SMD components:

4 Likes

can I suggest keeping all the PCBs and components on something clean, don’t keep glasses of liquid on the same table you’re working on, don’t stack PCBs on top of each other. I’m sure I’m missing some other things but you get the point :+1:

Sure you can, do you also want me to wear a antistatic braclet and wipe my iron every time i touch something with it ?

1 Like

nah just keep doing what you’re doing :v:

1 Like

If there is a second batch, I would like one!

I finnaly finished soldering all the FOCers :slight_smile:

I also managed to repair the broken unit with the lifted traces and used the time to install it to my onewheel.

When testing the powerstage for the first time the motor would not turn and there were some trouble with motor detection. I also noticed the voltage was way off (71V instead of 44V). I expected the worst. Flashing the precompiled 5.1 file via vesc tool luckily solved the problem.

I think something is wrong with the firmware i compiled. So you should flash your FOCers with a good firmware before using them.

Also i leave it to you to beef up all the mosfet connections (front and back). You can easily do that before and while installing the wires.

I will package them this evening and bring them to the post office tomorrow when it opens again.

12 Likes

Packaging:

17 Likes

Nice really quick good work

Amazing stuff

Def in for 2 next batch

1 Like

Epic!!! Thanks again @doomy, you are a legend. Cant wait to get mine up and running :rocket:

1 Like

I hope you start charging people for the next batch. This is a ridiculous amount of work.

6 Likes

Early morning postoffice run:

15 Likes

Speedy delivery. Thanks Doomy.

4 Likes

Thats very cool! Now that the first FOCers i sent are starting to arrive a few things to do and check when you get your FOCer:

1. Check if the USB Port Shield holds properly to the PCB. I may have not used enough heat/time for it to bond so if its no good resolder the shielding. Feel free to use some epoxy to hold it in place like @Morpheus has recommended.

2. Solder wires and beef up mosfet traces like explained in the Assembly Guide

3. Visualy and with a multimeter check for shorts in the powerstage, between phases and inputs.

4. Power up the focer (preferably with current limited power supply)

5. Reflash bootloader and lastest firmware in vesc tool (this is important, when testing my FOCers they did not work properly before that)

Enjoy!

7 Likes

Great work as I can see!
Dibs on 2 from the next batch :slight_smile:

Hey there guys,

All the Cheap Focers from Batch 1 are now on their way and i have some more good news.

Right now i’m preparing to do a Batch 2 Group Buy but (there is always a but) im going to do a few things differently:

Soldering and packing the first few FOCers was fun at first but after 10 or 20 it became hard work.
Also its not too much fun working my ass of soldering for someone who could have done it themself and did not even leave a small tip for a completely soldered unit.
Its a DIY controller and that is one reason why it is so cheap. The other big reason for its value is that people like shaman and vedder give their time and knowlede to the community for free. Without them all this would not be possible.
Thats why i decided to send at least 1€ for every Cheap Focer you order to @shaman.

The price for one kit will still be 30€ plus shipping and i am still going to solder the IMU and flash the firmware via ST Link for free. I think its a great feature and what makes the Cheap FOCer v2 unique.
Also not everyone of you has the tools or skills to do this.

For every subsequent soldering step i’m going to charge you 5€ for my time.

MOSFETs (bending included)
SMD stuff (Caps and Inductor)
TH Stuff (Connectors and elcos)
Beefing up MOSFET legs and traces
Adding wires (cost of wires not included)

Please tell me what you need, if not told otherwise i’m just going to send you a kit with all the components where you do all the steps yourself.

Pricing is going to be in € from now on because we are in Europe and we need something to do the conversion on (should consult @Halbj613 on this ;). Feel free to do the conversion and send me USD, GBP, CHF or whatever.

I have to charge you a little bit more for shipping (7€ to most of Europe) because i have to buy package material and the post office already charges me 4.90CHF(4.55€ or 5.10USD) for sending 2 focers.
Also there is a maximum of 2 FOCers per package (maybe 3) if you want more i can send them in 2 separate shipments.

This time i send some of them (lets say 10pcs) internationally too, but please keep in mind that it may take a very long time to arrive.

Please try to use payment services like revolut or bank transfer. If you have not noticed, paypal is charging a large amount for every payment.
Why give them the money when there are free options and you can save the money or donate it.

The jlcpcb and lcsc order will be sent out when we are at 48pcs. It takes about 7-10 working days to arrive here.

Well thats all for now, write me a PM or post in this thread to be added to the list for Batch 2.

12 Likes

i can advise transferwise
amazing transfer rates and really good service

no protection but i guess we can trust you
anyone got the dimesnions on these?

1 Like

once again for group 2 i will happily take but if someone else wants it and all units are taken up then they can happily go first

i have no urgent need for it so always happy to let someone else have a go

Wopwop! I’m down for 2 kits with imu on if possible :smiley: going on my hooverboard onewheel.
Will tip for imu solder its the least I can do for all the work you put in this :slight_smile:

Edited this cause I was dumb and didn’t read properly :joy:

3 Likes