Cheap cross brace and idler hack for motor mounts but especially those pesky tb's

So after a few pm’s about the cross brace on my evo build I decided to share this with you all as I had it all apart for cleaning on the kitchen table. (sorry dear).
Its a simple but effective idea using readily available parts you should be able to source locally wherever you are. My shopping was done in Aus.
Here goes;
You will need;
6mm stainless threaded rod -
10mm x 1mm (wall thickness) aluminium tube
Local hardware (Bunnings)
2 x 8mm sleeved axles from a scooter
4 608 bearings and speed rings/washers
Local skate/scooter shop

Here it is installed in all its cheap ass glory

components

Scooter axle, you only need the female side.

All together for illustration purposes

Clamp your mount plates together on the bench and work out where you want the bearing to sit. This is important because stupid me drilled out for dual idlers and then realised too late that they were too close together but all good it works fine with single. Drill an 8mm hole for the axle to go through. Clamping them together ensures that the holes will line up perfectly when you assemble it all.
Measure the distance between the inside face of your mounts at the trucks and then cut the tube to that dimension trying to get a nice square cut. This face will be sitting on the mount face so the squarer the better.
Cut the threaded rod to the same dimension.
Then basically all you are doing now is bolting it all together with some blue loctite and tensioning your belts. Use a speed ring on the inside bearing, the one closest to the mount and you’re done.
Anyone who has experienced tb mounts coming loose will love this. They stay rock solid and the torque from both motors will transfer to the road much more efficiently as the whole thing is now effectively one unit.
Hope its helpful and to everyone who pm’d me sorry it took so long.

24 Likes

Why does this not have a single comment lol.
In all honesty though @Dareno, i think the touchpad scared everyone away
nice and simple btw :+1:

4 Likes

Because the millen’s and tweens are scared of Daddy. Daddy rocks and they don’t know what to do or say.

2 Likes

Dareno you arent supposed to eat the trackpad

5 Likes

just a minor case of

2 Likes

Last time I posted that gif it got deleted by a mod lul

3 Likes

I think its because all the guys interested pm’d me from way back when the build thread was posted and also it was a re write from the dead zone

Works an absolute treat though.

1 Like

Well it’s not really funny until the eyeballs start flying out :rofl:

Yeah I can imagine! It looks great too

1 Like

idler hack ?

@dareno hold my beer…

its probably not the best idea, and only possible with small motor pulley (this one is 13t), but to my defense it is running completely true and no grinding on the bearings - and i guess bonus points for moving along with the motor when you tighten the belts :joy:

3 Likes

You know I sell mounts with idlers right :rofl:

2 Likes

yes :see_no_evil:

and i would be your best customer if it wasnt for those damn shipping quotes and import fees to eu…

just talked to billgordon about this, let me quote myself…

so tldr: eventually i will order from you anyways :joy:

edit: Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.36.07
this could have given away that youre talking to a madman tho…

3 Likes

This is a crime

3 Likes

So let me get this straight. You have used an extended m3 motor mount bolt to utilise 608 idler bearings? Without a reducing bush? And then when I look closer you have extended the motor plate fixings with hex sockets.

You sir are a master Mcgyver.

3 Likes

Looks like an extended M4 motor mount bolt to me :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Could be Brian but that is really not the point when the bearing ID is 8mm lol

2 Likes

That extension may be the greatest engineering feat I’ve seen in modern day times

4 Likes

They’re your mounts aren’t they?

2 Likes

this still stays flexible alltough the nut is cranked down, the washers keep the bearings aligned…
they can still move “up and down”, the belt pushes them into position… i hope that explanation makes sense

and the washers are small enough that in whatever position the bearings are, they cant rub on the outer ring

but like i said this only has enough room to work with a 13t pulley or smaller, would need modifications otherwise

im not sure, maybe im just an idiot - time will tell :sweat_smile:

:point_up:

we will see about that :grimacing:

1 Like