Charge ports and fast charging

I found one or two Chinese ones that did, but while their electronics were sufficient, their LEDs, optics, and thermals were… Disappointing.

I ended up going with an aftermarket automotive sealed low-beam projector headlamp (what a mouthful lol) and a drop-in LED replacement lightbulb to match.

84V is in a weird valley of no-parts. Go a few cells’ worth lower, and there’s tons of options for golf carts and the like. Go over about a hundred or so volts, and you can use a lot of things that are designed to run on 110VAC mains on the DC bus directly.

2 Likes

The latter. Planning to use a 12S Bluetooth LLT. 20a charge only.

The connector isn’t that great for plugged in while operating. It’s pretty big. I did see a 90* version.

Moliceli lists the standard charge for the 42A as 1C or 4.2A. Even 30q charging at 1a is silly IMO. 2 or 3 amps is probably fine. We do a significant amount of wear damage in discharge too that effects capacity. Understandably staying away from the max 4A all the time yes. But we also have people with 6p 30q packs and now many 4-5p 21700 cells are who are mostly charging at 4A.

Some Fork lifts and electric pickers run at 84v, I have some forklift lights rated at 84v they are bulky but well made.

2 Likes

If your BMS has C- and P-, then it’s likely (but not certain) that you can draw power from the C- port but the BMS may not be able to shut that port down in case of low battery or short circuit.

It highly depends on how your specific BMS is wired internally, though.

I would not do it from a BMS with a C- port. It’d be much better on a BMS with a shared P- port.

Just tested that theory. Put my undervoltage setting in xiaoxiang 0.02v under my actual cells. Turned my light on for a few minutes and saw the bms cut the power to my light.
I use a LLT bms

2 Likes

jack

I use the same charge port from amazon and charge with 8A since 1 year without any problems. They just get slightly warm, that’s it. Before I had a plastic jack which got quite hot at 4A and melted.

6 Likes

Needs deets

Which port? Which BMS? Details are everything as these tests are only specific to a certain brand/model/configuration of BMS and only for the port tested.

@b264
c- port
LLT 12s 60a bms (bought directly from their website)
Setup as charge only
Could technically use the power port to power lights as the bms would cut it off too

2 Likes

Been using this port @ 84V 5A (420W) without any issues what so ever.

Best port I’ve seen and used to date IMO

3 Likes

I’m also on 84v with my ebike. I run c13/c14
They’re rated for 15a. But unless you have space, these are rather intense

1 Like

Yup. 84V@6A here, the only issue I’ve had is the little loop for the cap broke off.
I’ll 3d print a little washer with a loop next time I have it all apart.

1 Like

I have these in 10 amp and 6
amp from amazon and they’re totally the same thing. I don’t trust the ratings

2 Likes

10 amps at 12 Volts and even that’s exaggerated. At 84 V you consider Anderson plugs or xt90

I considered them, but decided against both of those for space reasons. Plus both of those are rated for dozens of amps, so it’s totally overkill for a 10A charge port.

1 Like

Can someone show me what kind of charger setup they have for xt90 or xt60 charge port?

Is it some DPSxxxx with a PSU?

I think most people who do that just buy a regular lithium ion charger and then cut the connector off and solder an xt60/90 on it.

5 Likes

Pretty much yeah, also pretty much any Aliexpress seller with chargers will let you pick the connector at the bottom of the page if you send a message with your order, works for me every time.

2 Likes

Just a little update:

I picked up GX16-2 plugs and ill be using those.

Just received this 8A 12S charger from YZPOWER who I have ordered from before. It came with a noisy fan and my BMS is only seeing 5A from it. More testing is needed, but discussing with the seller now about a replacement

Soooooo random question I dont think we covered. Can you use two chargers in parallel at the same time? Lets say you had positive from battery into the positive of two side by side 5.5x2.1 DC charge ports. Negative of both to the bms. Could you plug two 4 A chargers into each of those 5.5 ports and see 8A of input? I guess the next question is how will it behave as it nears peak voltage.
In my head, I cant figure out whats going to go wrong, but this seems to obvious to be a real option.

1 Like

I had the same issue with yzpower chargers. Ordered a 6a, received a 4a.

how are you measuring that?

1 Like