Charge ports and fast charging

Honestly, unless your charging requirements exceed 10A, I think dual port charging is the easiest to implement.
Two 5.5x2.1 jacks should easily be able to handle 10amps from two smaller chargers running at once. This could be stretched to as much as 15 depending on the plugs

For high amperage single connectors, GX16, XT60. It’s mostly a matter of preference

1 Like

An LP20 connector is by far the best hi-amp charge port available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLTV59M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_0J.BFb96N087B

4 Likes

And huge. That won’t fit on the vertical walls of any single stack enclosure at 30x32mm. And it’s at least 12mm protrusion from the surface it’s mounted to.

It’s a nice connector but I barely got the GX16 into the side of my enclosure

4 Likes

I haven’t had any trouble. I have one mounted on a @BigBen single stack Evo enclosure and 1 on an ABS single stack. Mount the connector on the inside of the enclosure with a spacer to hold the bolt heads on the outside. I’ll post pics when I get back, couple of days.

1 Like

What gauge wires would you use to connect the charge port?

Depends on what your currents will be

20AWG silicone-insulated high-strand-count tinned copper wire is usually fine and use it if you don’t know what else to use.

Think i did this once, can’t remember what happened but i do recall BMS smoke.

1 Like

Two versons they have for 10s - See this one:

smart-bms-10s13s-60a-with-blue-tooth-android-or-ios-app

Waterproof high current solid non metal housing locks in place…

AU $2.00 19%OFF | 1set Waterproof Powercon Connector, 20A/250V, NAC3FCA+NAC3MPA-1&NAC3FCB+NAC3MPB-1,Lockable Cable Connector + Chassis Connector

1 Like

Sorry to ruin your dreams. But that’s not waterproof… There is a IP65 version of powercon but the blue one isn’t.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nac3fx-w-top

This one is.

3 Likes

That’s ok I don’t imagine a need to charge my esk8 underwater…

3 Likes

Totally understandable :joy: we use this kind of connector in video and lightning rental equipment. They are amazing and can take insane amount of beating.

1 Like

The socket does have a nice tight silicon seal door.very satisfying I know it’s a Chinese knock off but we’ll made.

1 Like

Did anyone else who was part of @Accrobrandon charger group buy (I got 12s, 8A version) (I think it’s yzpower but not sure?) have any issues with not getting the right amperage specifies? I finales got a smart bms and it’s only getting 4.01A charging current for some reason?

The BMS could be limiting power in. Are all of your BMS connections are solid?

An easy way to test the charger would be to connect it directly to the battery and measure w/ an ammeter.

A little update on my dual chargers on a GX12-4

Charged for half and hour at approximately 9 A, voltage went from 36 V to 40 V, charge port and wires got just warm, can probably push more current, specially considering I have thick wires inside and outside to conduct the heat away, all that on 10S5P 30Q

Will do a full charge someday to see if anything gets too hot for comfort just to have peace of mind

5 Likes

@bwahl602 got the Evo hooked up with a second 5.5x2.1 charge port. Dual port charging FTW! Tempted to buy the new 5.5A but for now this 4.4A and 2A should be fiiiiiiine.

4 Likes

Hope it lasts, I got tired of replacing the 2.5 mm ones, brand new they got hot but worked, I think as they get dirty, started to get hotter and melt completely at 4.5 A

1 Like

Anyone else have experience with those 2 pin LP-20 connectors? Any advice on mounting the female port on enclosures?

2 Likes

I was not part of that group buy, but had the same issue with yzpower chargers. Purchased a 6a, recieved a 4a.

1 Like