Channel trucks, Trampa specifically, how to make them turn better?

I’ve stepped on my board which uses Trampa Infinity trucks and 6.5 inch tyres on Superstars after 6 months of not doing so. My front truck is on the outer spring position with no egg dampers, and the back is on the outer position as well, but using a 50A custom damper. The yellow one by Trampa is 65A.

Now, even with no damper on the front truck, i still find it very hard to make turns, is there a thinner spring available out there or should i try to grind down my springs for science? Haha. I heard some good stuff about the elastomers but i’ll like to see all the possible options before i commit.

Some context, my board is not a MTB of sorts, so i’d prefer not to use bindings on it, i never got used to that feeling :crazy_face:

Here’s some parts that i used on the board
Jet potato 33"
Trampa Infinity trucks
3DServisas 35 deg angled riser
Khiro angled riser 7 deg to wedge the front, and dewedge the back
No damper in the front truck, and 50A dampers on the rear truck

7 Likes

Inner spring position on the front, no damps at all?

Remove the rear dewedge?

Also channels really do turn different so I’m not sure how they’re going to respond on such a small deck. I love this build though!

3 Likes

Yea that’s the thing, i’m stuck on the outer position of the trucks because the angled riser is in the way and blocks the inner spring position holes. I’ve also removed the rear wedge but it didn’t seem to do much. The front truck being hard to lean into a turn on low speeds is what gets me.

I’m thinking if i should try making some of my own ‘elastomers’, but casting it with really soft rubber/silicone. Not sure yet, just brainstorming.

1 Like

Are these brand new too? Those springs do soften a bit with use as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is that channels are built for turning/carving at speed, so if you’re trying to turn at lower speed you really need to throw your weight into it.

2 Likes

I got this built in late 2018, but i’d say i’ve used it for over 800km or so.

I see, well, time to do some science! I think i can make it work… am eyeing the elastomers.

2 Likes

Never tried channels and I’m curious. If they are harder to ride and turn, what’s the competitive advantage vs. RKP/TKP?

1 Like

What about angled risers?

I have been meaning to try them but haven’t had the chance. I will probably get a new baseplate first and change to inner spring position but my plan B is these risers. Should take the front from 35 to 40/45 degrees.

How much do you weigh?

1 Like

I weigh 70kg

Yep, i actually have a +7 wedge on the front, and a -7 wedge behind. Seems like it’s not enough.

I know @NoWind has made an adjustable baseplate for Matrix 2s, but not for Trampa yet. If that ever exists then i can try like 50 deg up front and 30 at the rear.

3 Likes

I’m not sure there’s a competitive advantage per say, they are just built for a totally different course style and also much larger in scale. I ride TKPs/RKPs on my street boards but it’s really hard to compare those board to my Carvers/eMTB. Scale of board really does factor in here too, a 35+lb board is a totally different beast.

Channels on a MTB style deck rides closer to a snowboard than a skateboard. Broken record: Turning is a full body engaging movement starting in your shoulders.

5 Likes

Have you tried running adapter only in the front without a wedge? Increasing the angle means you will get more turn but it also requires more leverage to obtain the turn. If the springs aren’t soft enough to compensate for increased angle I suspect that increasing the angle could do more harm than good.

2 Likes

I’ll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks!

1 Like

If you can manage to drill new holes for the inner spring position, that is probably your best option. Adding elastomer dampeners in addition will make for a very turny and still pretty stable platform. I’m bigger than you so springs do pretty well for me. That’s my experience at least.

2 Likes

Elasto barrels are great but they will be very stuff in the outter position front and rear. Ideal solution is to work out an inner spring position solution is you can.

2 Likes

I always found the dampers to be overkill, even at higher speeds. Might be useful offroad or smthn i donno. I use freeboard bindings, can make real tight turns if i have to.

Edit:responded to wrong person crap

3 Likes

It’s all good, I do it all the time.

I did wanna respond though because bindings. I didn’t even think about bindings. I run bindings in my Beast Mode build too, it’s also very turny.

I wonder if you can make a channel truck street build turny like TKPs with out bindings? Interesting anyways.

2 Likes

I’m not the most experienced with trucks but there are basically 2 parameters :

• the pivot angle which determines the lean/steer relationship

• the RTC (return to center) which determines how much you can lean the deck and steer…but it depends a lot of your bindings . That’s why mtb uses straps or even boots on boards like Nosno.

Carveboards use channel trucks/very low RTC/no binding and is a great carver…but also a wobble machine…
On the other hand, Nosno are great freeriding boards but you need to make small jumps to make tight turns.

Back to the same old problem between maniability and stability…

PS: deck length is also a parameter.

2 Likes

That would be a nice end goal! I’ll see if i can drill a hole on the angled riser and see if it can fit in the inner position, and then figure out what to do next.

3 Likes

Back from the 00’s

6 Likes

I think there was someone on the other forum that removed some material from their elastomer barrels to make them more carvey? I need to go look for it…

Edit: Trampa Barrels spring position?

1 Like

I you ask me, I’d swap the trucks for a set of RKP 200mm Surfrodz, you will be really happy