Cell Phone Charger?

Hi,

I have done some reading, and have not really found a good answer.

How would one be able to charge their cellphone/remote or other accessories directly from their battery (via. a standard 5Volt USB port)?

My understanding so far is to use a buck converter to drop the voltage down, but has anyone built something like this to charge their phone through their board? Has anyone done this either through the VESC or the Battery, and which would be better?

Any pics or relevant links to parts to buy would be awesome as to teach others like myself how to construct this kind of project into a board is definitely appreciated!

Cheers!

Its better to do it via a separate buck converter i think, i just bought this piece that was recommended somewhere here, forgot who it was.

#Aliexpress € 1,12 12%OFF | USB Car Power Supply Module DC-DC 7-50V to 5V 2A 10W Buck Converter module or micro usb Step Down Power Output Adapter low heat

3 Likes

Wait they have a friggin option for a usb added already, well frick me :exploding_head:

4 Likes

I have multiple buck converters on my board that runs lights, USB charging, wireless accessories. All you need is a buck converter that goes to 5v with an input voltage above your battery’s max charge. I built mine into the deck but you can also run a separate module and use the charge port on the deck as a power source etc.

1 Like

Yes! Something like that is what I am looking for.
Could you drop a link to the buck converters you are running on your board.
@BluPenguin

So do you wire just solder those wires to the positive and negative ends of your battery pack?

Google the LM2596HV module. It’s very small. There are many sources for it including amazon. Idk where you live so idk which site is best to link you to. The LM2596HV is good up to 12s (50V) which should work with most boards, it is a variable voltage converter, it can be set to any voltage you wish, and 2A output. So for USB, set to 5V and you can charge or power anything to 2A. Alternatively you can set it to 12V and be able to power any car accessory.

Make sure it is the HV version (high voltage). There is also a regular LM2596 which I think is good up to 10S, same amp output.

Very interesting.
Where is it connected?
Does connecting directly to the battery always drain the battery?

Yes, preferrably with a switch in between or after the switch of the battery.

@Bavioze and @BluPenguin
Thank you guys this is very helpful! I will place a couple orders right now!

I have it connected directly to battery with a switch right before it. When it’s on then it’s going to use a bit of power all the time.

1 Like

Imo 12v converter and a nice brand car charger. This will get you QC or PD. I will not plug a $2 buck converter into the asshole of my $600+ phone.

Funny, on my first build I thought about this a lot and bought all the parts. A few boards later, I’ve not felt the urge at all to actually charge my phone from the board.

1 Like

This is what I’ve got on my board
works brilliantly

2 Likes

Same here. As with me integrating wireless charging pads into my boards and remotes. It’s one of those “wow I have a great idea” for a problem that happens seldomly.

6 Likes

You might want to add capacitors to these buck converters, they are really ripply

That’s not the correct one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8UTRJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00

this one is better for 10S and 12S esk8 use

3 Likes

There it is. I didn’t look closely.

I thought it was hilarious you warned about choosing the wrong one, and then linked the wrong one :rofl:

I had to get the correct link in the thread

4 Likes

By the way, that one also has mounting holes which are easy to overlook as a trivial detail — until you need to mount it in your enclosure. The other ones are a “wrap in fishpaper and packing foam and toss it in there” mounting style. Works, but :expressionless:

Here’s an example of one without mounting holes

This is a CC/CV one as well, the other is a CV

CC/CV = continuous current / continuous voltage
CV = continuous voltage

3 Likes

Always when people ask my this… I just tell buy a powerbank to charge your phone & remote. If you want lights then a buck converter is something to go for. I use a 60v -> 12v 3A for my lights.

Who wants now less range?

1 Like