Caution using smart reverse!

I had an unfortunate event today. I normally use my custom build to commute to class and it’s my first board using vesc so there is a lot I don’t know. I like smart reverse as it allows me to simply reverse and helps in traffic situation downhill. However, I didn’t know that the vesc will cut out if I still have forward speed and go to full brake which activates the smart reverse feature.
Due to this, while braking as I’ve arrived at my building, I went full brakes to properly stop. Unfortunately this caused the vesc to cut out and the board to slip out under me. An even more unfortunate part is that the building has glass panes in the front.
Deck is goneskies, and the glass is too which is very unfortunate. I still haven’t gotten contact for the price of the glass which is my main concern. Hope it ain’t too expensive…

I believe the solution for this is to set a minimum rpm for the smart reverse to activate, or just disabling it outright. Hope this helps anyone else who may have smart reverse on & is new to vesc!

4 Likes

I’m sorry that happened to you and I’m glad you’re okay.

Try this instead of smart reverse:

Go to profiles in vesc tool and create a new one. Name it “new reverse” or something.

Set your forward top speed limit to something high like 100mph

Set your reverse to something slow like the default smart reverse setting, like 4mph

Choose to profile on all motor controllers connected to the can bus

Next, to to APP>PPM>control mode>current (could also say “current bidirectional”)

This only needs to be done on the vesc that has your ppm remote plugged into

If you have a uart remote the steps are similar

5 Likes

Did you check for fault codes? I use smart reverse on all my boards and have bever experienced this. I brake hard. Really hard.

Most of my settings end up on 100a for braking. You can also reverse to 12-14% and negative ramp time to 1.5 sec.

6 Likes

Cheers mate. I’m glad I’m fine too. Juuust hope this glass is under 1M Krw lol.

I’ll give it a shot when my new deck from @Pecos arrives. Perfect timing I guess haha

Yup! Nothing. I didn’t get to check it thoroughly tho as I had class. I thought it also could be an OCP event. I still don’t know what happened. Reading up on it more, it seems like smart reverse isn’t supposed to start unless the board is slowed down? And normally I can brake pretty hard. Enough for the wheel to lock up. I’ll try jack.luis’s solution but I am considering just normal braking. I can just reverse with my foot anyways. I’m still very confused but I’ll connect to the vesc and see if there’s anything fucky.

2 Likes

Did you go to the terminal tab and type in faults in Vesctool?

Yup. No faults reported since start. I can try doing some more testing in a safer environment before I make any changes to the firmware. Probs enable vesc log aswell.

Hold on. I think this may be the same issue I had from before when my board did a little cut out. I didn’t think much as it was a small cutout but I have the VESC log for it. Looking at the log it did have a fault temporarily

Fault code DRV it was. I have had this fault before and I’m not quite sure what it is. Apparently it means the chip is dead? Not sure how it happened. I use a MakerX DV6s with Radium 6455 175kv motors, 18t motor and 66t wheel pulleys with a 12s4p 40T DIY battery pack. Still figuring it out.

2 Likes

That sucks man, glad you’re ok. now that esk8con is over the parts should ship to finish your battery pretty quick and ill rush it and skip all the safety measures. No need to thank me - one soldered pack of recycled lishen ebike cells incoming sans fishpaper. Jk but ill ping the supplier again and see what the holdup is.

Seriously though that is a weird failure and I’ve never had smart reverse cutouts - just d100s weak low speed breaks but I thought the dv6s had a good track record so far. I have a new clean dv6s in my short board but im running sensorless vss so it might not be comparable but post if you find something.

3 Likes

Quick update - I managed to connect to my board. Fucking around in VESC tool at the moment. One strange thing - I can’t seem to get many sampled data points for the left side vesc. The right side vesc gives me sampled data fine, but the left side vesc seems to fail when going over 40 data points.

Cheers mate. My best guess is that there is some hardware failure with the fault_DRV thing. I can try replacing the drv chip but I’m still fucking around in vesc tool. I’ll post any solutions or fixes I find, and try to recreate the problem once I get that deck & rebuild it.

1 Like

Causing property damage & not paying for it is part of the college experience. They have your face on camera or something?

Oh mate it’s Korea. They’ve got cameras everywhere. Plus I did the responsible thing and went to the building office lol. Plus, I’m the only one that rides esk8s in my uni(afaik) so it won’t be too hard to identify :joy:

1 Like

I’ve contacted MakerX about it. I’ll see what their reply is but for now, I’ve checked over some of the settings and such and it seems alright. Sampled data is a bit fucky but on the right side ESC it works fine. I think what may have happened is the left side VESC had a time when it failed to start up. I just ignored it and ran it but maybe while it was running the Bemf voltage got pretty high potentially causing damage. That and some initially fucky vesc settings potentially caused some damage. That’s the only source of hardware damage I can think of at the moment. Another weird thing looking at the log is the DRV occured at a strange spot where according to the vesc log there was no power flowing through the motor. I’ll wait and see for some replies from MakerX

Meanwhile, if someone wants to take a poke here are the config XML files that I was running

Brokepilot_Dv6s_Left_Appconfig.xml (11.0 KB)
Brokepilot_DV6s_Left_MCconfig.xml (9.7 KB)
Brokepilot_Dv6s_Right_Appconfig.xml (11.8 KB)
Brokepilot_Dv6s_Right_MCconfig.xml (10.3 KB)

Ya gotta wait for those files to upload

yes I’ve had the similar thing happen to me with smart reverse, (minus the damage fortunately!). I now use Current mode on all my boards, while limiting reverse speed by lowering the max ERPM to about 10000

Smart reverse is legit, your vesc/config sadly is not.

1 Like

I’ll reupload the files in case it didn’t upload properly

Brokepilot_Dv6s_Left_Appconfig.xml (11.0 KB)
Brokepilot_DV6s_Left_MCconfig.xml (9.7 KB)
Brokepilot_Dv6s_Right_Appconfig.xml (11.8 KB)
Brokepilot_Dv6s_Right_MCconfig.xml (10.3 KB)

Good to know I ain’t the only one!

Did I misconfigure smart reverse on my vesc? How should I change it? Thanks!

Naa sorry, i thought thay were images, just noticed they were exports

Intermittent DRV fault sounds like it could very possibly be a motor phase short.

Sometimes these are glaringly obvious shorts to find, sometimes they are more sinister, hiding in the windings.

I’d be checking all of my phase wiring and motors as thoroughly as possible

4 Likes