Caution using smart reverse!

Alright I’ll check that. I’ll also see if the same thing is repeatable once the new deck arrives. With the limited data & experience I have, it seems like the DRV error comes on with this specific condition. But I’ll do some more testing. At least I’ll be ready & in a safer environment without any glass panels lol

Hmm, I wonder if the small DRV fault which made a cutout made the vesc think it had reached zero speed and then that activated smart reverse to launch you in reverse.

Because, you know, vesc is a software for hobbyists. I doubt it was programmed with such edge cases and safety in mind, in contrast to mission-critical software in say a self-driving car.

Alright it’s been a while but I finally finished midterms and was able to get the board working. I did some more testing and I managed to replicate the cutout twice. It happens at lower speeds it seems, but I didn’t really go over 30+kph. Strange thing is, I typed faults in terminal and it showed no faults registered since startup

Here’s the strange part. This is part of the motor current log when the cutout happened. I know this is the correct place as I just sat on my board and clicked end log as soon as I felt it happen. I went pretty much full/medium throttle then full brake, but during the braking event, there is a positive current spike for some reason.

Here is the same thing shown on another data log. I am going full braking and it still seems to stop braking, and give positive motor current for some reason.

I did get footage from the 2nd data log but it doesn’t seem to show anything. You can barely notice the motors cutting out from the camera shaking but it ain’t helpful at all. I can try doing more testing and getting more data logs but I’m really not sure what could be causing it. I’m a bit tired and would like to sleep so I will do more testing tomorrow. I’m gonna just try turning smart reverse off.

I have checked all the hardware and everything seems fine. I’ve even heatshrinked all the motor phase connections to ensure no shorts and checked where the wires go into the motor for shorts aswell. The only thing that could’ve caused hardware damage is there was a time when it seems like one of the vescs didn’t turn on and I kept going despite it being off(no power given to motor and not seen on can network). Maybe that could’ve caused some damage?

1 Like

Was the ESC rebooted or powered down before you checked for faults?

Nope I made sure to not power it down like the last times it happened. I didn’t power down the esc the whole time I tested it. Maybe I need a new dv6s :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Did some more testing on this matter. After turning smart reverse off I couldn’t repeat the same issue. I didn’t test it for as long, but with it enabled I managed to repeat the same cutout issue again. It doesn’t seem very random, and happens when I go full brake. This time however, it was worse for some reason. Instead of just giving me no brakes, it accelerated quite hard.

Previously, if the cutout event happened it would spike to ~20A or so. This time it spiked to 75A positive when it should be giving full brakes (-120A total). It was quite concerning as even if I was sitting, I’d rather not be on a board that’s accelerating on it’s own.

I think I’m going to leave smart reverse off and do some more testing. If I really can’t replicate the cutout without smart reverse I’ll start trusting this board again. For now, I won’t ride it unless for testing purposes.