Casting my own Wheels

unlike male prostitutes, i don’t get paid by the inch.

9 Likes

The youtuber should be happy to have more content to produce and build their channel. If they are small they need to work there way up to eventually making the big bucks. I agree with @longhairedboy if they are a small channel.with a limited reach It probably isn’t worth the cost to give a $3k board away for a few thousand reviews. Also they are the ones emailing lhb about reviewing his product and they expect payment? Lol that’s silly.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how many requests do you get for complete builds?

Several a day? Week?
I can’t imagine you cranking them out that quickly.

1 Like

i get a lot of requests, but i only take maybe a dozen orders on full customs per year. A lot of people just change thier mind and get something off the shelf since they don’t really know what they want. Often after i’ve already invoiced them.

And some people get the board and can’t deal with it so then i end up taking it back, flipping it, and refunding thier money.

Full customs are hard. I just took money for the last two i’m ever going to do. 2020 is going to be a bit different.

6 Likes

Finally gonna sell parallel packs instead of complete packs? I forgot about this but it’s a good idea I want to try out too.

Oops forgot what thread I’m in.

1 Like

I’m gonna try to drill holes in my cheap china thanes like this… want to test out the theory that holes work at least for hub motors. could be the forefront of something new. If boosted did it, that may mean something. if casting wheels are out (like the most of us), we could deal with cheaper options. Good luck on your quest!

1 Like

I’ve thought about this a few times, I have a drill press, prob need to research what bit to drill with to make clean holes. Someday if I ever have time.

1 Like

This not drill. Is from mold.

5 Likes

I am very curious how your venture will work out, but i suspect it wont work since the material will be compromised. Because when you mold it around the material tension will be moulded around the holes. When you drill holes in the thane, you will also remove the bond when they were cast, thus making them way less resilient and prone to cracking.

3 Likes

Jeff can you cast these types for your Neohubs?

Is no good to make this kind of wheel. Make motor inefficient and more problem for PU crack and break.

10 Likes

I’d sacrifice wheel life / longevity for comfort ride though… and willing to keep changing wheels (also good business for wheel maker!) hub wheels are just horrible, unless duro rating can be 74A (also good for wheel replacement business!)

Our PU for neoHUB is 77A and is thicker than most other. It offer good comfort.

3 Likes

Dang! I thought I could skip this drilling part and get holey wheels from rideNeo on day!

I’ve drilled Trampa dampas before with a metal drill bit, turns to a geletanious mush and is far from a clean hole, sticking them in a really cold freezer overnight works wonders though😉
Why drill holes though, can lead to low speed vibrations, look for the Skullboard airless wheels review on Esk8 news, it’s kinda annoying, I know. Also, will probably throw wheel balance to hell if not done perfectly.

2 Likes

brad tip. Very new, very sharp. Medium speed on the drill. If you have one of those belt tramsmissions like i have in mine, put the belt on the middle pulleys somewhere. Then use light pressure and go slowly.

4 Likes

I thought I read skullboard vibs were caused by the bad tread pattern and out of balance wheels

1 Like

Yeah urethane tends to stretch instead of cutting. You would just end up with a bunch of buttholes on your wheels, and that’s no good. LHB’s idea with the Brad bit could work especially with Tangent’s freezing method.

I’d be down to sacrifice some of my clones.

1 Like

brad tips cut from the outside in, they don’t rely on the spiral to slice shit. A regular spiral upcut bit will just make a hole that closes on itself. the urethane would just bump out of the way of the cutting edge. You have to slice the circle first, then dig it out, thus, brad tip.

7 Likes

Did you use any lubricant?