Casting my own Wheels

if anything think holes would make it roll worse given the same material. softer but worse roll.

3 Likes

What is the reason for it rolling worse?

im just guessing based on other things out there. the material itself isn’t going to have any better rebound so no reason adding air would increase it. even if it were pressurized air, like big bubbles, I still don’t think that would increase the rebound.

but rebound is like the icing on cake. if you can get a soft pu that doesn’t deteriorate that’s pretty good and that’s available.

The material’s rebound will be the exact same, but making it thinner would make it more susceptible to bending. Make it so that it is thin enough to bend enough to create a fake, recreated rebound effect. Given that the “thin” layer is followed by a support structure that allows it to bend and moves back in to place, and that the “thin” part is as thick as possible before giving up the ability to bend.

Another alternative, something similar to cloud wheels, where the inside is filled with something softer.

2 Likes

I find it funny that you can diy wheels at home that are better than a lot of wheels out there.

Certain exploding hub motors come to mind.

2 Likes

du and of course an air filled tire on a bicycle is a common example of air in a material giving lower rolling resistance. a solid version of the same material sucks and the air has a great benefit. I bought a pair of solid bike tires once and took like half an hour to get them on and I took them off 5 minutes later. they sucked. looking now at solid bike tires I don’t see anything resembling a skate wheel. maybe too slippery. I imagine a solid bike tire of some top pu would be great. maybe heat it up to soften it and get it on.
theres been buzz of making car tires out of polyurethane but still just seems buzz. I remember a while ago were comparing the different materials and whats possible. moe stooge here uses super low duro, I think maybe 50, for its great traction so as to get to the limit of what you can do on a board with our given light weight, and think was nitrile. they don’t last though. I don’t know the rebound but think it was polyurethane that had the best and probably not a thought when you run those. pu is cheap and look forward to hearing how the 70 duro goes. I think rebound and duro don’t correlate and you can have great rebound in any duro. hard to find info and was long ago.

4 Likes

I realy like the idea with of wheels with a soft core. You can then use a very sturdy outer shell and fill it with softer material. Of course it can’t be too hard since it has to be flexible to give in. I bought PU foam for that reason for later tests.
ATM i am printing the hubs for my PU wheels and tomorrow i will pour the last wheels, so they are ready for a weekend ride.

2 Likes

Hmm you got me thinking.
Super high performance urethane wheels that use live axles. Super small core the size of skateboard bearings or less.

Maximize comfort minimize wheels size.

1 Like

Well, if the diameter gets smaller, rolling over stuff gets harder. There is a reason i did 160mm. My 97mm feel rough driving over curbs and other stuff.

1 Like

Not a good test. He should have ridden the same board with normal wheels and see if there is a change, that bounciness is probably just the deck and i highly doubt those small holes provide enough impact dampening. At the same time, if the holes get to big the wheels will not roll smooth and induce vibrations, but that is just my personal opinion, not an expert.

2 Likes

I know, but his reviews are not to my liking. I would have at least some closeup shots while going over curbs and compare it to another board.

2 Likes

YouTube reviewers I don’t trust and they’re given things to do the review if not straight money. Hard to not be biased. Or everything is great.
If the air is contained like a bike tire I think it will have better rebound then if the holes go through. Wouldn’t be hard to set up a comparison

10 Likes

So little update. Did my second pour and it did as intentioned but i didn’t use enough PU. But these are prototypes so all is good.
You can see that the enclosed mold did it’s job providing a smooth outer surface but the lacking of enough PU is a shame. Gotta change my design so one pack of PU is enough for one job.

11 Likes

Update
So i broke my 2nd batch of wheels free and it was as expected a fail. One of the wheels didn’t rly harden completly and i guess it was because i didnt take enough time mixing. I probably relied on the mixer too much, which i attached to my drill. It is probably good to get a rough mix but you still need to work it with a spatula and scratch the bottom and walls, that would explain why it only had some soft spots but still unusable.
Secondly, if you 3D print a mold, take a lower layer height. Printing it too fast makes the mold leaky and it pushes through the layers, it doesn’t affect the pour that much but it wastes PU. The good news is that the closed mold did it’s work and gave a smooth finish on top, if had enough PU…I will redesign the wheel a bit so it takes less PU. Just enough that i can get one batch out of PU Kit.
I will probably just use 2 wheels i poured and mix them with normal 6" tires i have.

6 Likes

this is true. If you’re paying for a review, even if its honest, it won’t be perceived that way. I keep getting emails from youtubers and i tell them i’ll send them a board for a couple of weeks and then they send me pricing and i tell them nevermind.

6 Likes

what about over pouring and lathing down the inside? Would that be an option?

3 Likes

Yeah that could also be an option.

to be fair, they wouldn’t do a whole video review production for the $20 ad revenue they’d get from their low view counts :stuck_out_tongue:
(Unless they are super popular with millions of subs)

2 Likes

i mean if they weren’t super popular with millions of subs why would i send a $3000 board to them?

5 Likes

What’s $3000 to a man of your hair status, seriously

Just give em bones

2 Likes