CARVE PDX - July 29-31st 2022 - Portland, Oregon, USA - YEAR 2!

Damn son

1 Like

@Venom121212 doesnā€™t mess around on hot laps. Pete had to abort his first lap because the curb of death snuck up on him.

Having it officially sanctioned is probably a good call with the number of folks we would have out there.

5 Likes

Need the Hoyt van there to do mobile charging and support

1 Like

Such an amazing event, hopefully I have some time to go through my ride footage this week

5 Likes

Ok so after 22 hours of uploading to YouTube I was told that my video was too long because my account wasnā€™t verified yet. I verified my account via text, and itā€™s now saying I can upload shit more than 15 minutes so Iā€™m trying again. Hopefully tomorrow a 360 night ride will be available for people with the YouTube app or even a vr headset. I have the other day rides too so Iā€™ll do those next over the next several days and post links here.

I think I got noobed by the system because Iā€™m using my defiant board society google account instead of LHB. It has no history. Nowā€™s a good time to get that started though, weā€™re going to have plenty of video to post of various things.

I do have some phone video of the sea side rides by Souā€™Wester. Iā€™ll stop dicking around and get that uploaded.

The drive was hard on me. In the moment it seemed fine but Iā€™m still feeling the exhaustion two days later. I donā€™t think my car liked it much either, I need to go get it checked out. Itā€™s making funny noises and shutting the engine off when I hit the brakes sometimes.

15 Likes

download handbrake, itā€™s a solid video compressor that maintains quality quite well in my experience

1 Like

I donā€™t think that helps with YouTube uploading unless you kill the bit rate(quality)

@longhairedboy maybe just cut the sections into multi part videos so you can just get videos up and count up

4 Likes

youā€™re definitely killing the bitrate some, but it can be done to a lesser degree so you donā€™t have a noticeable downgrade in quality (while still significantly cutting down file size)

its 42 gigs of spherical mp4, and I have a half dozen or so to upload. I donā€™t mind the wait, any sort of pre-processing is just going to add to the total time. I want it at max quality anyway.

I didnā€™t cut or edit, I want to share the experience as it was. Even the stupid banter at the intersections.

5 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s just gonna start the upload and let YouTube finish the processing. Iā€™ve never done 360 footage raw. Always pick thru it

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always reframed and cherry picked scenes in rides as well. And that cam is great for it. It does amazing solo ride and shoot product shot type stuff.

I just decided this time it would be cool to let people be there the way it was if they have a browser or hardware that supports it. Iā€™m still feeling that awesome Portland vibe.

5 Likes

As @DerelictRobot was saying "pick your own adventure "

5 Likes

ooh wonder if I can watch it on my quest ( w/out puking. :smiley: )

3 Likes

handbrake is ffmpeg underneath IIRC. definitely good.
IMO better to upload to youtube and let them have first crack and recompressing.( likely using ffmpeg )

3 Likes

the 360 night ride through town finished uploading and YouTube is 95% done processing it, but its been at 95% for hours. lol

I just keep reloading the channel content page to see if itā€™s stuck or something.

8 Likes

I recorded nothing because we looking like a rolling Big Brother convention the entire time so I figured you guys had it.

Looking forward to these videos! I already saw some of the incredible drone footage that @poastoast captured.

9 Likes

my dudesā€¦ the second video is uploading and the first has finished processing. I was able to verify the 360ness on my laptop, you can pan around using WASD on the keyboard or by dragging the mouse. I think you just drag your finger around in the app on phones and tablets. Iā€™m going to put them all in this playlist, which already has the first one in it:

10 Likes

Dude the 360 cam is actually really cool on mobile. Itā€™s silky smooth for me on my pixel.

Excellent!

2 Likes

oh dude, it works. and itā€™s only slightly nauseating. (also youā€™re flying above @longhairedboy head. :smiley:
)

but kinda like being there. pretty cool. :slight_smile:

i had to use youtube vr app, the in browser app didnā€™t have a way to switch to vr in youtube.

2 Likes

Awesome! glad to hear it turned out. Iā€™ve been watching it on my MacBook and it seems to scroll around smoothly full screen too. I only just learned at Carve that YouTube even supported it.

I wish I had a VR setup I just canā€™t justify buying a headset right now, waiting for the artificial PS5 shortage to end so I can get one then Iā€™m getting the VR set for that when it comes out.

3 Likes