Can't modify app settings over bluetooth... any suggestions?

Just trying to set up a new build and ran into trouble trying to run input configuration.

Unity, og bluetooth module, latest vesc tool on android.

I started on 5.3, motor detection seemingly went fine, motor settings were able to be changed and they saved and stuck, but as soon as i tried to run input config wizard, the app just ‘crashed’ and went back to start screen.

Tried changing any app settings and nothing would write.

Updated to fw 6.2, seemed to go fine, motor detection worked again, but same shit happened when trying to run input config or change app settings. Just nothing happens.

What the fuck is up with this shit?

Al is that you?

Just having vesc issues, nothing unusual here.

1 Like

Been experiencing same thing with different ESC and BLE module (DV6/flipsky). Don’t know if it’s something with the newest version of the VESC tool app or what. Only problems with it. Connecting via laptop/USB works fine

I’d bet yours and @billgordon’s left testicles that this is the case.

2 Likes

The unity has issues with the built-in ble if you are using a UART remote or another UART device.

Try to replace the ble with another from flipsky or something.

You can also try to remove your other UART device, save settings and then reconnect it

There is no uart device.

The bluetooth module performs motor settings and firmware updates apparently without issue, its just app settings that are affected by whatever issue I am seeing.

I’m open to anything, but I can’t really see how the bluetooth module is at fault here. It’s worked perfectly up until vesc tool 6.

Mine would “appear” to save motor and app configs and then after disconnect and reconnect, everything was back to default. Then it wouldn’t detect the VESC side over CAN sometimes, etc. USB connection was the only thing that worked. I haven’t tried it on my other board running 5.3 yet on a stormcore, but I’m afraid to fuck with it because it works well as-is. Remote config was all fucky too on the VESC app

1 Like

Ok I’ll shut up then

Use VESC Tool 5.

:rofl:

VESC is full of bugs

Shot in the dark but make sure VESCtool is the only thing using your board’s BT.

Close metr/Freesk8/xiaoxiang/TTL and anything else that might be using BLE or your board.

Then relaunch VESCtool

2 Likes

How did you even get it to work at all? When connecting to my PC my bluetooth module doesn’t even show up as a thing that exists. So I haven’t even tried to connect to it via bluetooth assuming it doesn’t work once you update past the unity firmware.

Also I don’t even know how the fuck to put the bluetooth in pairing mode to even try to connect to it.

I totally would but i have no idea how to roll back the phone app. I don’t think its even possible.

Yeah i do this religiously these days. Have had issues when the phone is connected to other stuff like my speaker.

3 Likes

As long as your wires are oriented correctly it should work. If it doesn’t, your module is likely not compatible or faulty. I believe it was HM10 modules that were popular for vesc stuff until fw4 or 5 made them obsolete/incompatible.

In that case, use the desktop version and just use the mobile one as a TCP forwarder and you can choose what version to use. See if it matters? IDK

2 Likes

Definitely gonna try that before I open it.

1 Like

Did you try the freesk8 app?

1 Like

Yeah same deal, no app settings

1 Like

what if you create XML files on a different working vesc, then load them up on your “broken” one?

just a bandaid fix but gets you running at least…hopefully.

1 Like