Can you DIY with pre-built drive trains?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you were able to build a DIY with a pre-built drive train from non-DIY companies (like boosted, evolve, meepo, etc). I’ve found these:

Boosted Rear Drive Complete - $456

Exway Flex Riot Drive Train - $289

Ownboard Dual Drive Belt Kit - $249

Backfire Dual Hub Motor Kit - $245

These are the most well-known brand drive trains for sale I could find. Most if not all of them had different connectors (not the normal phase and sensor wires). However, especially on the Ownboard one, there were people in the reviews posting pictures of their DIY builds. What did they do to get it to work? Is the ESC different?

They would all work technically but you’d have to make your own connector adapters and whatnot. It’s a pain in the ass.

I’d go for a pre-built drive from Janux or Hoyt

Edit: Go for the ownboard drive. Those are standard connectors.

4 Likes

Those look like some triangle thingys

I might be missing something…

They are called MT60, it’s a 3.5mm bullet in a housing

3 Likes

Ah ok. That’s good to know, thanks!

backfire uses mr30 connectors
ownboard uses mt60 connectors
boosted and exway uses their own proprietary connectors

I guess backfire and ownboard drive train would be easier for diy.

2 Likes

Yeah probably, if I fed too many amps into the motors would something happen?

worst case scenario, phase wires short and fry ur esc.

my 2 years old backfire hub (g2t), I was able to push 30A into it, but it gets hot real fast.

1 Like

Hmm ok, and if I were to use another drive train how would I know the amount of amps to feed into it?

there is no simple answer to that, it depends on a lot of factors to determine how many amps u will be able to push into the motor, also if its safe to do so aswell…

OEM usually will have a “do not go over XXA” guideline, those numbers are usually conservative numbers

1 Like

Ohh ok, if I do this Ill probably ask them or something. Thank you!

Its totally not hard to change the connectors. Thats not something that I would take into consideration when choosing a drive train.

2 Likes

:+1:
I’ll look thanks

still have that loaded boosted deck. and have posted a pristine drive train too. Ridden 70 miles by a 9yo.

$145 for the deck
$60 for the trucks and motor mounts
$150 for the motors
$60 for the 80mm wheels
WIll throw in pulleys.

3 Likes

I will PM

i think most of the chinese drive trains are 24-30Amps. Not sure if Exway pushes more.

The wowgo 2s was 24amps but the motors work with 30amps too.
Wowgo 3 30amps

same for backfire and ownboard.

1 Like

One of my builds is running a verreal drivetrain.
I think I’ve been pushing 50amps through it without any problems so far.

1 Like

did you ask them? or did you find out yourself?

oh wow, ill look that up

no, those are the rated specs, the Hobbywing ESC is rated for 24 amps and 30 amps depending on the versions. Part are interchangeable though.

I’m sure the parts can take a bit more than that but will heat up more.

1 Like